Power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

73lndcrsr

SILVER Star
Threads
I am finishing my power steering conversion and have one more question.

What is the optimal position of the pitman arm with respect to the drag link? Mine is currently just in front of the drag link (maybe 1"-2" forward).

thanks for your help.

Actually it is about 5" forward.

which conversion, Scout or GM Saginaw?

IMO, 5" is a bit long, but will work. Saginaw pitmans are pretty universal, so a trip to the junkyard and looking at most any GM/Jeep/Ford/Scout product will net you one that will work.

The one for my Scout conversion is off a Camaro and is almost flat. Wagoneer arms are common for GM conversions.

I am doing the GM conversion.

Are you saying the pitman arm should be shorter than 5" or the distance from the pitman to the drag link should be less than 5"?

Great, thanks for the info.

Time for a trip the the pull a part.

I have added the new pitman arm (Wagoneer). It has given me about 3" from the drag link to the tie rod.

I have a new issue, though. I have attached everything and I now only get 3.5 turns lock to lock. I tested the box before the final attachment and it was 4.25. I think my drag link is a little long, maybe .5". Would this cause the loss of turns?

My process...
I got the wheels as straight as I could by measuring the distance front and back. I left about 1/8" toe in. I then centered the steering box and measured for the drag link.

What could I have done wrong?

Thanks.

is lock to lock at the box or does the axle travel thru it's entire range and hit the steering stops? With the longer pitman, it will take less steering put to move the rods further...are arc of the arm is larger and more more with less input.

sounds all right too me... :D

The axle is traveling all the way to the stops. I did not think about the pitman arm making that big of a difference.

I have a new issue now. Is there a way to test the box and pump? I have everythink hooked up, but no power.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Are the hoses from the pump hooked up to the gear box correctly? Did you install a used pump that maybe doesn't pump? You have fluid in it, because it would howl like the wind without it, right? Forgot to put the belt on? (I've done way dumber things!)

I have everything hooked up.

The pressure hose is the hose on the left in my attached picture.

I thought this was the correct way.

Is there a way to test the pump without making a huge mess?

Here are some pics for referance

1631985.jpg

1631969.jpg

1631962.jpg

hey slower, do you have any pics of the box mount from the rear? is it really as easy as it looks? also, what pulley did you use to accomodate for the larger lc pulleys?

thanks,
Max

As it turns out, my pump was bad. Thanks for all the help.

I finally have power steering. This is the best thing I have done so far!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom