Power steering - what is the cleanest and simplest install? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mark,
When you say pad do you mean on the outside of the frame, or on the engine bay side?

Would a 62 box be better than a 60 box??

thanks
Ryan

90% of the GM style saginaw conversions I have seen have badly hacked cross members. 80% have been cracked when I looked at them. All but two have had nasty looking reinforcement (if any) to address the reduced strength of the butchered cross member.

This swap *can* be done cleanly... but it usually is not.

And the box interferes with winch mount/winch selection options. And the steering shaft is more likely to interfere with engine/exhaust too.

The BRB mounting plate can locate your box pretty nicely. The Downey plate should have been aborted on the drawing board.

In a properly located scout or FJ60/80 steering box conversion, using a appropriate pitman arm on an SOA rig, the shock is bottomed out and the spring is arching backwards before the spring can contact the pitman arm. On an SUA rig I don't think that the spring can come up far enough to hit a non-dropped pitman arm.

There is no need to brace or beef the frame with the scout/F60/80 conversion on an FJ40. I weld a mounting pad to the side of the frame and nothing further is needed.

Mark...

60=62=80 series box.

I am going to sell my IFS box, and I am getting a 62 ox for $50.

Mark,
When you say pad do you mean on the outside of the frame, or on the engine bay side?

thanks
Ryan

The steel "pad" is usually needed (as a min) on the inside (engine) of the frame because of the large cutouts or holes there that may interfere with you having something solid to bolt to

Last edited:
Mark will correct me if I am wrong. But I believe that he actually puts a thick plate on the outside of the frame and then threads it for studs.

except the 60's boxes have 2 different mounting hole patterns

I thought the late 60's are the same as 62 and early 80 boxes were the same?? 91 and 92 model years

Yep...

Early FJ60 mounting pattern and late mounting pattern differ, while internals are the same. Late FJ60 boxes are the same as FJ62 boxes. FJ80 from 1/'90 on are not the same internally but do have the same mounting pattern, but the length of the FJ80 input shaft is longer...

for example, sector shaft for FJ60/62 is **111-60040

From 1/'90 on(FJ62 prod stopped by this point), sector shaft is *111-60030

I will guarantee that they are not the same. the sector shaft on an 80 series box is approximatlely 4mm bigger in diameter(step down to same sized pitman arm tappered splines). Spool valve and casting are different, and there is a "centering pin" on 80 series box castings.

If you were to compare early to late IFS boxes, most of the differences mirror the differences in FJ60/62 vs 80 series boxes. I have rebuilt both 60 series and 80 series boxes.

question

I am looking at doing this 60s series PS mod sometime in the near future. What parts do you need to order for this mod?:doh:

Mark,

thanks
Ryan

I put a mounting pad, or plate on the outside of the frame. 3/4 inch thick and as large top to bottom as the frame is. This is welded to the frame and obviously ties into the to and bottom of the frame rail, not just the outer face. The box mounts to threaded holes in the pad and the bolts [ EDIT... "DO NOT GO ALL THE WAY THROUGH" (multiple typos made that unclear)] to the other side of the frame. This makes for a simpler installation and also eliminates an need to reinforce the frame so as not to crush it. On most of the rigs I build, the front axle is shifted forward and the box mounts abeam the front cross member, or damn close to it. In some of the installations it would be impossible to run bolts through to reach them on the inside of the frame.

This plate also spaces the steering box out far enough so that it does not interfere with the radiator mount

60/62/80 boxes will all work the same for this swap.

Mark...

Last edited:
I put a mounting pad, or plate on the outside of the frame. 3/4 inch thick and as large top to bottom as the frame is. This is welded to the frame and obviously ties into the to and bottom of the frame rail, not just the outer face. The box mounts to threaded holes in the pad and the bolts to do go all the way through to the other side of the frame. This makes for a simpler installation and also eliminates an need to reinforce the frame so as not to crush it. On most of the rigs I build, the front axle is shifted forward and the box mounts abeam the front cross member, or damn close to it. In some of the installations it would be impossible to run bolts through to reach them on the inside of the frame.

This plate also spaces the steering box out far enough so that it does not interfere with the radiator mount

60/62/80 boxes will all work the same for this swap.

Mark...

That's a great idea rather than running bolts thru, 3/4" is some serious steel :eek: We sleeved the holes on the last one but your way seems much simpler and faster.

Last edited:
I got a 62 steering box, and steering rods and joints... even got the column from Mikesta, and Alan (Josie's Cruiser) delivered them to me. Now I just need to find a sag pump w/ correct pulley and, correct hose, and probably an upper universal joint. Getting motivated.

what is the "hydro assist" you are talking about with the 60 box conversion? I have both a scout and a 60 PS box sitting there and not sure which one to use. Will most likely use the 60 box just cause it's Toyota and I have the 60 pump as well. But I'm not sure what Hydro Assist is..... or why I would need it.

A hydraulic cylinder that helps the steering box turn the tires in difficult situations. It uses the pressure from the PS pump that is pumped through the PS box to actuate the cylinder back and forth. A quick search of "hydro assist" should give you some pictures of the set-up and directions on how to port the box.

and once you go hydro assist youll never look back, love it. wish i had done it sooner

Go for scout steering

I am in the middle of doing my ps conversion, and after all the trouble with the minitruck ps,(clearance issues with my exhaust), I went with the IH Scout setup. I had to get the box shipped in from CA, it was the only one that NAPA had,but when I mocked it up on my frame it was a clean fit except for hacking the shock mount.:wrench:
IMG_3420.jpg
IMG_3419.jpg

Why would you mount it that far forward?? You are going to have to hack the crap out of your front bib.

Unless your planning to move your front axle forward quite a ways I would scoot it back a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom