Power steering too light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.jjadventuretours.com
Have a Saginaw box with an unknown make pump (was installed by the P.O.) on my BJ42. I'm noticing the steering is WAY too light. You can turn it with your little finger; it does not really feel safe this light. I'm sure it would be fine with 37'' mudders but with the 31'' skinnies on right now it really does not feel good. Is there any way to reduce power to the box? A bypass? Pressure-reducing insert (like a choke)?

Short of changeing the pump,You can try a smaller relief or a pressure reducing valve.But consider youself lucky it works that good .Mine is the same I just have to watch it against the stops as it will flex the frame.

I think you have it backwards, a longer arm will make it turn faster. Shorter feels slower but with a "little" more mechanical advantage.

How about removing the pump and running the hose back into itself at the pump to keep oil in it? J/K I had to drive my FJ60 box like that for a little while, prolly not good for it but it does work.

Short of changeing the pump,You can try a smaller relief or a pressure reducing valve.But consider youself lucky it works that good .Mine is the same I just have to watch it against the stops as it will flex the frame.

How would you change the relief? Where to source a pressure reducing valve?

A larger pulley will slow the pump a little.

do you have steering stabilizer(s)? Maybe the extra resistance would be enough to give you more confidence. I run dual Skyjacker stabilizers and it feels very nice.

64 Yoda,

You got a pic or any other info on your setup? I'm new to this power steering business and my 4 turn box still seems awful quick to me. :eek: Especially with the 13-3/4 diameter Grant wheel the kid put on it. (Soon to be removed and replaced)

...my 4 turn box still seems awful quick to me. :eek: Especially with the 13-3/4 diameter Grant wheel the kid put on it. (Soon to be removed and replaced)
Yeah, I'm surprised no one asked what size steering wheel is installed.

jcolvin, do you have the stock BJ40 steering wheel? If not, what diameter?

A quality saginaw steering install usually makes most folks want a smaller wheel for better road feel (i.e. not touchy), hand comfort, and looks (if not also more legroom and beergut clearance.) :D

If the 4.5 turn, 4 bolt box (’64 Chevy Impala. Autozone #42005227-6537)and/or the shorter pitman arm doesn't solve the problem, you can have a custom box built. Try Tom @ PCS 817-270-0102.

I spoke with him sometime ago and he offered a rebuilt box suggesting valving to make it feel little heavier like a new GM truck. I didn't do this but he said if I did to ask for “like a 76L-M-210”. At the time it was $265.00 for a 4 bolt, 13/16-36 input shaft, metric O-ring type ports, variable ratio box.

I have a $35 boneyard 3-whatever turn o-ring box, 5.5" long pitman arm, a 14" OD Grant steering wheel, +5* caster and it steers wonderfully. See my ROTW in sig line for pics and IH8MUD.com - View Single Post - pitman arm ? for saginaw PS conversion for the pitman arm.

Here are two other pitman arms I tried but both had issues. The straight came in the Downey kit and the drop was from a Cherokee. I didn't like the angle of the relay rod with either. I could tell no difference with either as to any differnce in quickness of the steering.
HPIM1094.jpg

Last edited:
If the 4.5 turn, 4 bolt box (’64 Chevy Impala. Autozone #42005227-6537)and/or the shorter pitman arm doesn't solve the problem, you can have a custom box built. Try Tom @ PCS 817-270-0102.

I spoke with him sometime ago and he offered a rebuilt box suggesting valving to make it feel little heavier like a new GM truck. I didn't do this but he said if I did to ask for “like a 76L-M-210”. At the time it was $265.00 for a 4 bolt, 13/16-36 input shaft, metric O-ring type ports, variable ratio box.

I have a $35 boneyard 3-whatever turn o-ring box, 5.5" long pitman arm, a 14" OD Grant steering wheel, +5* caster and it steers wonderfully. See my ROTW in sig line for pics and IH8MUD.com - View Single Post - pitman arm ? for saginaw PS conversion for the pitman arm.

Here are two other pitman arms I tried but both had issues. The straight came in the Downey kit and the drop was from a Cherokee. I didn't like the angle of the relay rod with either. I could tell no difference with either as to any differnce in quickness of the steering.
This is good tech. I need to add a damper to mine.

Saginaw Steering Box Adjustment

First thing I'd look at would be the damper.

Also good tech. I went ahead and quoted it.
The nut and screw adjust Worm bearing Preload and Sector shaft mesh. NOTE! The steering gear must be out of the vehicle to adjust it on all 1974 and later Saginaw rotary gear units. The earlier models can be adjusted (sector shaft preload) on vehicle.

This is how GM's Saginaw division recommends the adjustment be done.

• Disconnect the pitman arm from the sector shaft
  • Completely back off the sector shaft adjusting screw on the sector shaft cover.
  • Center steering on the "high point" then attach an inch lb torque wrench to the steering wheel shaft. The torque required to keep the shaft moving for one complete turn should be 1/2 - 2 in lbs. If the torque is not within these limits, loosen the thrust bearing locknut or tighten the valve sleeve adjuster plug to bring the preload within limits.
  • Tighten the thrust bearing locknut and recheck preload.
  • Slowly rotate the steering shaft several times then center the steering on high point.
  • Turn the sector shaft adjusting screw until a steering shaft torque of 3-6in. lbs. more is required to move the worm through the center point.
  • Tighten the sector shaft locknut to 35ft. lbs. and recheck the sector mesh adjustment. Total steering gear preload should be 14in. lbs. or less.
  • Install the pitman arm and place the unit back into vehicle.
WARNING - To try and adjust the sector shaft screw without doing the preceding WILL DAMAGE the steering gear. Most of the play is not in the sector shaft adjustment, it is in the spool valve area.

Factory P/S, factory steering wheel and original steering damper and my steering is as light as the OP describes his. 1 finger steering is no problem, in fact its so light I swear I could blow on the wheel and get it to turn.

...and you are complaining or ??????????????

Please tell me how that works out for you. I looked at his product and it seems like a good option. I am experiancing the same problem and would like a resolve as well.

Man, I wish I could complain of such luxuries, lol!

Actually at freeway speed it can be quite nerve racking. It is quick twichy feeling. At slow speeds it is great but I would feel beter if it was slowed down a bit. From what I read it would make a smoother steering. Also I do have a 4 1/4 turn box as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom