Power steering to BJ42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I should to fit a power steering system a 1982 BJ42 LHD with 3B, that currently does not have it
so I would like to know if there is a complete kit, or I have to buy : new radiator,power steering gear and pump , brackets, alternator , cranck pulley ,etc..........
with all the problems and appropriate adjustments

otherwise get advice from those who have already mounted a electric power steering......
pros and cons ?
thank you

Giacomo

I ended up getting a used OEM setup from 4wheelauto to convert my 82 BJ42. I didn't need a new radiator or thermostat because they were the newer style outlets. I think the hardest things to find are some of the brackets and the cooler line. I couldn't find much information on aftermarket kits when I was looking but that was a few years ago now.

I briefly looked into the EPS but my land cruiser is fairly original and the 24v electrical wasn't really touched. I know there is a fine balance of adding electronics to the 24v rigs and I didn't want to create issues with the batteries.

Thank you Yellowknifer
so you bought a complete kit of used parts or single spare parts ?
do you remember what these components were ?
but for EPS if I'm not mistaken there is also the 24V version

Giacomo

Actually, this should be the BJ42 idroguida (power steering) complete kit Giakomo.
The FJ40 equivalent kit should not be very different than the above.
Hope that will help!
Ciao!

===
1984 BJ42, frame-off restored
1983 BJ45 P/UP, resto project

003.png

Υδραυλικό Tιμόνι το πλήρες kit.jpg

Thank you Greek Cruiserhead
so in the picture are the spare parts of the FJ40 shown ?
with which engine and which year ?
Ciao

Giacomo

I source a steering gear box from a 1979 FJ740 (p/s was an option) - I might think a pre-1985 pick (hilux) is the same...

I had to shorten the steering column shaft by about 3 cm

I source a pump, a pulley and tensionner from a BJ60.

I built / bent the low pressur return line

I ask to a hydraulic hose shop to built a high pressur line which run from the pump over the engine instead of the original place --> way cheaper !

Buongiorno Giacomo,
Actually it is a picture from 1983-84 BJ42 parts sold in W. Europe (probably in France).

I bought the used parts from 4wheelauto In Edmonton but was just lucky they had it in stock. I think the hardest parts to find are the cooler lines, tensioner and the reservoir bracket since they are 3b specific. I think I had to get a different alternator bracket as well. The power steering models had a different bend in them.

The hoses can be made like David said. There may be aftermarket brackets for a Saginaw conversion but I didn't really look for any.

You can get the EPS for 24v vehicles but I think it just uses a converter. I didn't really want to install one but if it is done properly I wouldn't suspect there would be any issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom