Power Steering Suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1985 FJ60. It had the original PS pump but it was leaking really bad. I did some research and replaced it with a Saginaw pump. I used a bunch of washers and bolts to shim it out and get it mounted straight. I had to use my old pulley and bore it out to the correct shaft size (not ideal) End product is that it works but I'm having issues at lower RPM. so when I'm coasting through a parking lot or parking I basically have no PS but when I give it some RPMs I have no issues. I'm guessing the pump is either powered differently than the original or the pulley size needs to be changed to get more RPM at idle. I'm looking for a better PS solution. Sometime with a bolt on kit. Plug and Play or a pump part number with a pulley part number. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas. I currently have 31" tires but will be going to 33" tires soon.

George is the man for this. Thread here:

Looks like his kit does come with a pulley and a belt but not sure if its just a generic pulley from a specific Saginaw application or specific to make it work for FJ60 steering box. I guess since both are included its likely that the belt is included to accommodate whatever pulley was needed to make this work. Some instructions on how to dial in the pump in that thread that may prove useful to you to maybe get yours to work better.

Stocker pump had a woodruff key to prevent pulley spinning on the shaft. How were you able to bore this out and prevent the stocker pulley from spinning on the shaft? HTH.

Last edited:

Sounds like you need the right pulley. It probably isn’t spinning fast enough at idle. If you go with an oem pump at least you know what pulley to use and not have to troubleshoot. I know that the right Saginaw pulley for that conversion is about $100+ shipping.

+1 for Georg at Valley Hybrids/Cruiser Brothers

Can't go wrong with his setup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom