Power steering started “leaking” today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

After pulling into my neighborhood after a two hour drive home, I noticed that my power steering pump was whining. I drove it into my driveway and when I hopped out, it was leaking out fluid on my driveway.
I had make a short drive afterwards.
I didn’t want to add fluid because it was just going to dump it all out within minutes anyway. Long story short, I drive 5 miles round trip, and now the truck has no fluid at all.

My assumption would be that a line tore or broke because of how abruptly and quickly it lost all of the fluid. It’s dark now unfortunately, and tracking down the source of the leak is tricky because there is no fluid left now. It’s super messy and I don’t have any carb/brake cleaner to spray and clean the area up. It’s super messy on the drivers wheel well as well as the top of the axle being covered in fluid as well.

I’m hoping it’s just a hose that needs to be replaced.
Where would be the best place to start tracking this leak?

536BABAB-280D-4D8D-8B6E-21B89DCBA4EB.jpeg

1C7374C6-B9DD-48AF-93DA-0E064CF1084E.jpeg

9FBFC0A1-E59E-4C68-A1D4-D9A1755113F0.jpeg

Look on the tail end of the pump itself, basically under the oil filter.

There is a plug in the back of the pump that is known to blow out and dump all your fluid.

www.absolutewitsend.com has made a replacement plug for them. @NLXTACY

If that's not it, I'm pretty sure he has all the PS hoses as well. One stop shop.

Welp, I couldn't sleep because this was driving me nuts. Went outside and took a look. The plug is in place. It recessed as it should be, but I confirmed that its in place. It's also dry in that area so I know it can't be leaking from that spot.
I'll have to run to oreillys after work tomorrow and see if I can just pick up some power steering hose. Fingers crossed that the lines will fix my PS issue. I'd hate to have my ride be down for longer than a day or two. I hate waiting on shipping time for parts and my truck just sits in the driveway.

I would definitely hose it done with some degreaser because
A) You are going to be VERY dirty replacing anything in there
B) It’s gonna help you a lot to see what you are looking at and what is leaking

I don’t have it on hand, but if you search on forums you will get a PS diagram. It’s a pretty simple system. I’ve had a hose leak on the side of the radiator which went to the cooler.

If it looks like it sprayed everywhere under pressure, i would look at high-pressure hoses first, you won’t be able to replace those with hose by the foot as the fittings are crimped.

If it looks like it sprayed everywhere under pressure, i would look at high-pressure hoses first, you won’t be able to replace those with hose by the foot as the fittings are crimped.

^^^^

Agreed...bound to be a high pressure line/hose.

I'll get out my simple green and get to spraying as soon as i'm off work to get a better view of it all. This might be one of those times where I will opt for a Oreilly's part out of sheer convenience. I don't want to run the pump dry when i drive, and this is my only vehicle.

"Rein Automotive" PSH0328 RockAuto

*Returning to this thread because I totally thread jacked the other one

Just got the 3 low pressure lines and the high pressure line off. The hard line going into the top of the pump was a pita to remove. I believe the faq post said its a 17mm but mine was a 16mm. Now I don't have a 16mm because the set that I have at home, conveniently skips the 16mm wrench and I lent my bigger tool box out to a buddy.

Apparently I don't how a banjo bolt bolts. I spent 10 minutes figuring out why it wasn't coming off, but was spinning freely. I put a wrench on the nut underneath and the torque wrench on the top bolt and voila, out she came.

Now for the inspection of the lines... No obvious tears or rips in the hoses seem to be present. Its possibly the high pressure line is leaking where the rubber meets the metal fitting and it leaked under pressure. There was a ton of crud in that area. Even after a quick cleaning, its hard to inspect it all due to the grime and crud. I'm really hoping its not one of the hardlines that are leaking. I'm reffering to the ones that are tucked towards the rad near the frame rail.

Well I'm headed to oreillys to pick up some more ATF, hoses, and some brake cleaner. Will update when I'm all said and done with the job.

Quick update. It was the high pressure line that was leaking. I couldn't replace all of the low pressure lines because Oreilly's didn't have the sizes I needed in stock and I didn't have time during lunch to go to another store. I inspected the low pressure lines and cleaned them up before I reinstalled them. None of them were brittle or seemed to have any visible damage. The old high pressure line did not have any visible damage to it once I removed it and inspected it. It must have been leaking where the rubber and the metal fitting meet. I don't know what brand the one I pulled off was, but I know it wasn't oem because the OEM nut is a 17mm according to the FAQ, and the one I removed was a 16mm where the line attaches to the steering gear box. The Import Direct High pressure line I just threw in uses a 18mm for the record.

All in the all the oreillys high pressure line saved my butt. Really glad my pump and/or anything didn't sustain any noticeable wear or damage from this whole fiasco.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out and gave me a word of advice. I know tons of people have had the same issues in the past and you've probably all given this exact advice to another person before. Thanks for being patient and helpful in my time of need. It's always stressful when my only vehicle is down no matter how brief or long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom