1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

power steering squeal ordeal

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by jm599, Mar 5, 2007.

1. jm599

jm599

did a saginaw pump / little pulley power steering conversion last year and the squealing was driving me crazy, tried several belts to no avai. finally ordered the IPOR pulley and installed this am only to make the squeal worse!

At lock the pump would stop and really let out a scream. Tightened it up over and over. finally got a helper tonite and got him to turn the wheel while I watched closely.

It appears that the ps pump was stopping the fan/ water pump double pulley and the squeal was coming from the alternator belt which was a little loose after getting the alt belt tight the squeal went instantly away.

I feel like an idiot. But success is sweet. Now almost no noise at lock with only moderately tight ps belt.

does this make sense to anybody. I guess the waterpump is just free wheeling and when the squeal was present the belt was slipping on the crank pulley.

does it sound like the bypass function is working correctly in the saginaw pump?

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:

If it were not working properly, your steering would be very hard, or, you could have cracked the pump housing or the steering gear housing from too much pressure.

:beer:

3. jm599

jm599

it seems to be functioning fine and is quiet...now.
    It is not as easy to turn on pavement as some power steering cars but is much easier than my armstrong fj55 rust bucket daily driver.

I just didn't think that at lock the pump would slow down maybe the pulley and pump is just harder to turn due to the higher pressures at lock.

anyway, I'll drive it now that the salt is off the roads and keep my fingers crossed.