Power steering resistance when hot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, attempting to diagnose what to potentially replace on my 100, and since these are expensive and somewhat hard to reach parts, figured I'd ask first to send me in the right direction. I tried a search but couldn't find anything quite like my symptoms.

I bought my truck a few years ago, and the steering has always been a bit funky. The main issue I'm dealing with now is that the steering is pretty much perfect when I first start the car, and in normal low steering angle driving, but often after my weekly VT to NY highway drive that heat soaks the system, when I go to parallel park, the steering effort at high angles gets heavy and almost notchy feeling. It almost cycles between high and medium effort within a turn lock to lock.

I have done a fairly thorough fluid flush with quality ATF, which MIGHT have helped a bit, but does not seem to have solved the problem. Normally I'd be looking at the rack or u-joints for something like this since it appears to be correlated with steering angle, but the 'hot only' symptom is giving me pause.

Curious if anyone here has come across this before and can point me in the right direction.

My Lexus GS (1UZ) did something similar. Turned out to be an old weak pump. As the fluid got hot and thin the pump just couldn’t make pressure.

Might pay to check the vacuum lines on the power steering pump just to see if they are still in tact. Otherwise may be sign of a weak pump since the fluid is new/clean assuming the proper fluid was put in.

When it's hot and you have these problems can you inspect the fluid to see if it's foamy or any other symptoms ? What about other possible concerns like belt tension ?

Hey all,

Reviving this one as I've finally started digging into it. The resistance seems to be at all temperatures now, and definitely seems to be related to at least one of the joints in the system. Inspecting, I saw that the lower intermediate shaft was VERY rusty, so I have one of those on the way. I also saw that the rack moves around quite a bit so I'm in the process of replacing the rack bushings as well (nightmare of a job...)

That said, I did come across this thread linked in one of the MUD threads indicating that the interior joint can gunk up and cause my symptoms if the outer boot where the steering shaft comes through the firewall is shot, and mine is, so I'm about to pull the column out to inspect that joint as well.

I do have one question for the group here though. Obviously I'd like to replace the missing boot, but I can't seem to find a part number for it. Near as I can tell it is not the 45026 boot in the diagram below, as I'm pretty sure that is the one on the inside. Photo of the one I'm looking for below. Thanks guys.

tilt-steering-bushings-4-jpg.2334403
IMG_2686.jpg

found it, didn't realize I was looking at an early 100 series diagram...
1641423069803.png

So the lower intermediate shaft was the culprit. Replaced one of the rack bushings as well, now the thing feels almost twitchy since I’ve likely had shot bushings the whole time I owned it. Gotta love northeast rigs…
3D9C1285-276E-40EA-8BDF-701CEDDC2ACE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom