Power steering reservoir relocate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I’ve permanently moved my battery to the passenger side. Next up, I’d like to relocate the power steering reservoir. Long list of reasons why. Next up will be ABS delete. Free up a lot of space.

I’m not sure what size the hoses are but I feel confident that they’re available in longer lengths.

Is there any reason that the reservoir needs to be located where it is? It obviously gets warmer there. Otherwise I would like to move it to the fender, far front, under the AC line.

Has anyone ever moved it? Any reason not to?
14826801-D00D-4ADD-BF97-DEE50FC383E7.jpeg

Hey mate,

just something to consider is maybe this is a good time to switch to a larger more generic style reservoir...

I ended up custom making a reservoir to mount in a new location that was larger, incorporated a bracket so it was a direct bolt on and more importantly bypassed the Toyota reservoir which is very prone to leaking. I know you can pull them apart to fix them, but as mine wasn’t leaking I was able to sell it off for $100 which covered all the material costs for the new one.

obviously depends on your fabrication skills but you can buy generic eBay ones for less than $100 which could work better...

Hey mate,

just something to consider is maybe this is a good time to switch to a larger more generic style reservoir...

I ended up custom making a reservoir to mount in a new location that was larger, incorporated a bracket so it was a direct bolt on and more importantly bypassed the Toyota reservoir which is very prone to leaking. I know you can pull them apart to fix them, but as mine wasn’t leaking I was able to sell it off for $100 which covered all the material costs for the new one.

obviously depends on your fabrication skills but you can buy generic eBay ones for less than $100 which could work better...
Excellent idea!!! I hadn’t considered that. Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Hey mate,

I too would like some photos or a link to the rezzie you got.

I’ve permanently moved my battery to the passenger side. Next up, I’d like to relocate the power steering reservoir. Long list of reasons why. Next up will be ABS delete. Free up a lot of space.

I’m not sure what size the hoses are but I feel confident that they’re available in longer lengths.

Is there any reason that the reservoir needs to be located where it is? It obviously gets warmer there. Otherwise I would like to move it to the fender, far front, under the AC line.

Has anyone ever moved it? Any reason not to?
View attachment 2739503
Line is 3/8" and 5/8". What I do know is, you need to keep it above the plane of the pump...

Power steering res
I don't know what it's called when 2 people are 3 thousand miles away and have the same idea and are working on their own"version" of something at the same time. Yours looks like it's further than mine is. I am trying to completely free up all of the space on the DS and the PS reservoir is #2 to be relocated. Looking great Joey! Looks like it is meant to be more for power steering cooling than it is for relocation.

Last edited:
I purchased the same one yesterday off of scAmazon. What is the piece on the left?
GM mounting bracket that goes with it, which is sweet. I planned on fabricating one, but it came with the canister by luck. Another pic...

20210723_121315.jpg

I don't know what it's called when 2 people are 3 thousand miles away and have the same idea and are working on their own"version" of something at the same time. Yours looks like it's further than mine is. I am trying to completely free up all of the space on the DS and the PS reservoir is #2 to be relocated. Looking great Joey! Looks like it is meant to be more for power steering cooling than it is for relocation.
More fluid and a filter. No need to relocate.

The closer and more directly over the PS pump the reservoir is the better to ensure positive feed to the pump. You can go bigger in the factory location. This style reservoir uses a generic internal filter that can be sourced easily. Mine came from NAPA
E7152CFD-F361-4473-8864-419E686798AA.jpeg
15C69FC2-5C79-4163-A224-D3E52EC7B4E0.jpeg

Last edited:
The closer and more directly over the PS pump the reservoir is the better to ensure positive feed to the pump. You can go bigger in the factory location. This style reservoir uses a generic internal filter that can be sourced easily. Mine came from NAPA View attachment 2740020View attachment 2740021
Got it. So, perhaps it’s not a good idea to mount on DS fender. Hmmm.,

Not sure why you would even want to but DS better than PS.

I’m
Not sure why you would even want to but DS better than PS.
I’m trying to free up a lot of space on the DS. Having the hoses for power steering out of the way would be helpful but not an absolute necessity. More important is the canister and ABS. With no battery, canister, ABS on tge DS fender there is opportunity for other items 👍🤔

I’m

I’m trying to free up a lot of space on the DS. Having the hoses for power steering out of the way would be helpful but not an absolute necessity. More important is the canister and ABS. With no battery, canister, ABS on tge DS fender there is opportunity for other items 👍🤔
I see no problem with mounting the reservoir on the DS fender. I look forward to seeing what you need the space for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom