Power steering reservoir hoses - alternative to OEM? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks, my PS reservoir hoses are both leaky, and they cost something like $60 each on McGeorge. I read somewhere that someone used 'bulk line' hoses, I don't know much about that, google searches yield fuel line hoses, is that what I'd be looking for? Can those be bought in short lengths?

quick searching i'm seeing 3/8" and 5/8" being used. Transmission oil cooler hose is typically what it's called
Thanks, looks like I need to go bug the guys at NAPA.

Don’t know exactly where the leaky is but mine were leaking right at the reservoir. I removed the factor clamps and installed two screw type clamps and no more leaky. YMMV.

The smaller factory hose is 10mm which makes the 3/8 go on very snug but it works. I heated the hose up with a heat gun and it went on easily.

Just make sure it's not fuel line and they give you power steering line so it's compatible with the fluids.

The smaller factory hose is 10mm which makes the 3/8 go on very snug but it works. I heated the hose up with a heat gun and it went on easily.

Just make sure it's not fuel line and they give you power steering line so it's compatible with the fluids.
How can I tell if I have fuel line vs other? Thanks!

How can I tell if I have fuel line vs other? Thanks!
My line said right on the side "Power Steering". Every reputable brand (reputable IMO) will put their name and a product code on the side and you can reference their specs.

Granted, will fuel line work? I don't know 🙂 Land Cruisers get whatever hose is available in many places around the world and seem to run fine.

I've had bad experience with non ethanol rates fuel line breaking down and particulate clogging carb needle valves in the past. After replacing that line with ethanol rated hose I haven't had any issues, so I believe there is some science to the rubber used.

Last edited:
Rubber is basically Carbon and hydrogen which are non-polar, fuel is also Carbon and hydrogen (non-polar) "like-dissolves-like" so just a rubber hose carrying fuel will slowly dissolve: Same concept when acetone is added into Styrofoam. Proper fuel hoses are made with some additives such as N, O, F atoms to make it polar keeping fuel and rubber hose immiscible. Ethanol is polar therefore you now need a special hose that is made to withstand non-polar (gasoline) and polar (ethanol). Good Stuff!

Okay so I ended up getting actual power steering return hose. That should work for both these lines, right? Or did I really need to have transmission cooler hose?

Both the Transmission and Power Steering use ATF so a hose made for either should work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom