Power Steering rack-Stripped HP line fitting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok, just a vent session here!!! So ive had a leak in my 2000LX for some time, bought a detroit axle unit about 6 months ago, old rack had stopped leaking up until last weekend when temps hit 10 degrees here in texas.....so i had some time off, decided to tackle the job, got everything out (steering joint was the hardest thing, and i did jack the motor up (way easier that way). well i put everything back together this afternoon and apparently over tightened the high pressure fitting and stripped out the threads (not all the way but i felt it give and stopped). So when i refilled the res. and put oil filter on and cranked her up, she was spitting PS fluid .....DAMMIT!!! So, .......my thought are F^&&%$# SH**&^&%^.......F^%$#$#*& Sake!!!!

Going to try something and hope it works, im going to take the old "top portion" of the old PS rack off and swap out with the new rack.....PLEASE GOD I hope it matches up!!!! otherwise im doing it a thrid time and buying another PS Rack!!!

Has anyone else had this much of an adventure with their PS Swap???? Mind you i have done multiple timing belt changes, starter rebuild, alternators, bearing repacks, CV rebuilds and replacements....( I have three Hundred series, a 60 series, and an 2008 FJ) so i have to do all the work on these otherwise i could affortd to keep them...........im not exactly a novice but man this feels like a rookie mistake!!!!

Did you strip the housing on the rack? or the fitting on high pressure line?

If the Detroit steering is a reman, then the two housings should be the same.

Did you strip the housing on the rack? or the fitting on high pressure line?

If the Detroit steering is a reman, then the two housings should be the same.
yeah, i stripped the housing on the rack, the original housing fit on the detroit reman so im G2G now! took extra time to start the return line and the High pressure line this time and didnt over torque them......damn that was a PITA! basically did a rack R&R twice in one day!! Lessons learned though! dont use a long ratchet to tighten s*** down thats in an aluminum housing......I was going to try and rebuild the old rack just in case one of my others go out but i checked online and the parts kit for the rebuild is almost as much as a reman rack....so may break it down for parts but otherwise trashing the old one.

yeah, i stripped the housing on the rack, the original housing fit on the detroit reman so im G2G now! took extra time to start the return line and the High pressure line this time and didnt over torque them......damn that was a PITA! basically did a rack R&R twice in one day!! Lessons learned though! dont use a long ratchet to tighten s*** down thats in an aluminum housing......I was going to try and rebuild the old rack just in case one of my others go out but i checked online and the parts kit for the rebuild is almost as much as a reman rack....so may break it down for parts but otherwise trashing the old one.
Good to hear the housings matched!. I usually dont follow torque numbers for drain bolts, brake lines, etc, just snug and turn a bit more with a short ratchet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom