Power steering rack help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Mud brain trust.

I could use some help after extensive searching.

Here is my story. About two weeks ago my power steering rack started leaking a decent amount. As recommended here on mud I was able to treat with AT-205 and the leak appears to have stopped.

Now I notice the steering seems somewhat stiffer than before. With the power steering reservoir properly filled. I have a feeling a new rack is eventually in my future.

My question is if the slightly stiffer steering is something I need to be immediately concerned about it I can live with for a bit? Or is there a risk of catastrophic failure?

New house and baby number two on the way are seriously impacting my free time and discretionary funds for the cruiser.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Run it into the dirt or until you have spare funds to swap in a new one. Just check the reservoir once a week and top off as necessary.

I don’t think it’s an issue if the leaking has stopped. If you’d prefer lighter steering feel you can request that at your next alignment, or by putting more weight onto the torsion bars.

A bad leak can let air into the system, I'd make sure to bleed it just to make sure your heavy steering isnt some air. The bleeding is so simple it's worth doing, takes no more than 10 min to set up and knock it out.

Run it into the dirt or until you have spare funds to swap in a new one. Just check the reservoir once a week and top off as necessary.
I don’t think it’s an issue if the leaking has stopped. If you’d prefer lighter steering feel you can request that at your next alignment, or by putting more weight onto the torsion bars.
A bad leak can let air into the system, I'd make sure to bleed it just to make sure your heavy steering isnt some air. The bleeding is so simple it's worth doing, takes no more than 10 min to set up and knock it out.

Thank you mid brain trust. That was the exact answer I was hoping for. Will add the power steering reservoir check to my weekly check list.

Will try to bleed the power steering pump this weekend to be on the safe side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom