Power Steering Rack/Box Leak Suggestions (91 Surf LN130) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just gave it another shot with even more force and a different punch and the metal is just bending and chipping away, any more suggestions?
Has it been staked into those slots Like a pinion nut? Mine didn’t have the slots in the housing

Had to get a different box. I beat all those holez on the nut out and the threads were blown. It wasn't repairable

A bit hard to tell from the photos whether the steering box is similar to common ones here. Maybe there is a part number under the gunk? I have 2 or 3 steering boxes in my parts storage. I can dig them out and look for a part identifying number if you don't find info elsewhere. Did you try your VIN on sites like Toyota DIY? I have only ever worked on the steering gear by removing it from the vehicle.
You looking to sell any of those steering boxes? I'm looking for a new one instead of trying to rebuild my own

Almost guaranteed that my spares are leaking, so would require rebuilding. I know at least one of them is my original, which I swapped out because it was leaking. I moved, so I did not have time to even label the original. So with that, none of them would be worth shipping to Missouri. I could get one to JEMJEM787 if he wanted. He is less than an hour from me. I know I got my spares from 4runners with pretty low ks. If you find one at a wrecker, check the milage, and look for obvious signs of leakage around the box. They should be less than an hour to pull.

I did a bit more research on other forums, and it seems like more than myself has had problems with that one specific component leaking, and almost all ended up buying a new box or living with the leak. The part in question is RHD specific so simply taking it out of a LHD box is a no-go.

I ended up finding another RHD box on the island and installed it, didn't have any leaks at all so i just put it in without rebuilding anything. If it ever starts to leak again i will deal with it when i come to it. At least now i have a few spare parts from my old box if anything decides to fail on me.

I have one in parts with a few issues that you would need additional parts for. However, there was a dude in our local group that just posted one for sale out of a LN130 (Surf). I PM'd you his facebook profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom