Power Steering Pup Repair; How Hard? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvazquez53

El Tractor
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Power Steering Pump Repair; How Hard?

PS Pump started to leak, how hard is to repair a 3FE power steering pump??? Any special tools???:hmm:

Last edited:
Not that hard. I just rebuilt mine not too long ago using the toyota seal kit. It took care of the constant weeping. I'm pretty sure mine was leaking from the reservoir o-ring.

Didn't need any special tools, but my wife had to give me a hand pushing the back plate down so I could get the retaining ring in.

My luck, my FSM (Obviously used) have the PS Pump area missing! I guess I'll go Kamikazee :eek: and see what happens. Time to spend $$ on a new FSM

I started to take the pump out of the truck, and ran into a problem. There are two bolts that hold the pump to the mount, one is adjustment, the other is a pivot point. the one in the pivot point, how is this one removed, since the pump pulley does not allows the bolt to slide out. Does the pump pulley has to comme off first? is this the case, what a PITA! :confused:

I started to take the pump out of the truck, and ran into a problem. There are two bolts that hold the pump to the mount, one is adjustment, the other is a pivot point. the one in the pivot point, how is this one removed, since the pump pulley does not allows the bolt to slide out. Does the pump pulley has to comme off first? is this the case, what a PITA! :confused:

It looks like it, FSM is vague on installation/removal:

1. DISCONNECT AND CONNECT PRESSURE TUBE
Using SST, disconnect and connect the pressure tube
from/to the PS pump.
SST 09631–22020
Torque: 36 N–m (370 kgf–cm, 27 ft–lbf)
HINT: Use a torque wrench with a fulcrum length of
300 mm (11.81 in.).
2. LOOSEN PULLEY NUT
Push on the drive belt with your hand to hold the pulley in
place and loosen the pulley nut.
3. ADJUST DRIVE BELT TENSION AFTER INSTALLING PS
PUMP
(See page SR–19)
Power Steering Pump
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION OF POWER
STEERING PUMP
Remove and install the parts as shown.
STEERING – Power Steering
SR–24

Don't forget to get all the air bubles out once you are done. There is a proceedure for that too, can't find it right now but I'll keep looking.

-Juan

It looks like it, FSM is vague on installation/removal:

1. DISCONNECT AND CONNECT PRESSURE TUBE
Using SST, disconnect and connect the pressure tube
from/to the PS pump.
SST 09631–22020
Torque: 36 N–m (370 kgf–cm, 27 ft–lbf)
HINT: Use a torque wrench with a fulcrum length of
300 mm (11.81 in.).
2. LOOSEN PULLEY NUT
Push on the drive belt with your hand to hold the pulley in
place and loosen the pulley nut.
3. ADJUST DRIVE BELT TENSION AFTER INSTALLING PS
PUMP
(See page SR–19)
Power Steering Pump
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION OF POWER
STEERING PUMP
Remove and install the parts as shown.
STEERING – Power Steering
SR–24

NIIICE!!!! I guess I need something to hold the pulley in place or put everything back together and use all the belts to loosen the nut :mad:

Last time I did this, I needed a rattle gun to loosen the pulley nut. You won't be able to get the belts tight enough to do this by hand.
There is a woodruff key in the shaft that will want to get lost when you pull the pulley off the shaft. Don't loose it.

Depending on where te leak is, the seal kit may help. I did mine and it was fine for a short while and started leaking again so I replaced the pump.

So the 3FE power steer pump is belt driven? Seems like they went to a lot of work to make the 1FZ a gear driven unit then.

Anybody with a 3FE & a camera handy care to snap a pic? Kinda curious since I really only locally know guys with 1FZ's

It struck me as odd when I changed my pump a couple weeks back (had a leak, let it get too low, fried the pump enough it caused a harmonic vibration at various RPM's) that it was a gear driven one in a 1FZ, since I'd only ever seen this on a diesel motor in a commercial truck quite a few years back.

For some unknown reason, I have a picture of my power steering pump on my laptop. Who knew?
PSPumpAll.jpg

Thanks for that Jon - I know I'd seen the motor before in a FJ, but since I wasn't pointedly looking for the PS system, you know how that is - you just are a pedestrian & not really too concerned with anything.

I wonder why Toyota felt the need to do as they did redesigning the system for the 1FZ ?

- It does make the supercharger a possibility, but I'd be surprised if that was what was in mind when they moved it to the complete opposite spot & more importantly, went to gear drive vs. the standard belt driven.

Done! After all it was very easy (the uninstall/install). Took the bad pump to a place that specializes in rebuilding Alternators, PS Pumps, Steering boxes, starters. They rebuilt my own one and gave me lifetime warranty for $100.00. Went that way, I was in a hurry and could not afford to have the truck down, is my DD. Now feels like new!:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom