Power Steering Pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I’m looking for confirmation here.

What am I looking at? Power steering pump? I jacked the vehicle up and turned the wheels left/right as if to bleed the power steering system (looking for steering knock/pop) well, I found the knocking popping noise as well as power steering fluid overflowing out of the reservoir.

Yesterday it was making an awful groaning noise as well.

The cap was on the reservoir but not in the “locked” position. This shouldn’t matter though? Yesterday it did the same thing when the cap was locked closed.

8EE1010D-4C7B-4D35-BA2E-85492BC4D8B5.jpeg

A78E6752-BAC7-47F6-A4C1-3229D1D3726B.jpeg

Ever cleaned out the screen?

There’s a screen in the bottom of the reservoir that traps all the dirt and gunk. If the rez is +20 years old and regular interval PS system flushes haven’t been done, then it’s likely the screen is clogged and blocked. This will prevent fluid from getting to the pump (the noise it’s making means it’s starved) and cause the rez to overflow when fluid is pumped back into it (the ATF mess you have on the fender apron).

There’s a screen in the bottom of the reservoir that traps all the dirt and gunk. If the rez is +20 years old and regular interval PS system flushes haven’t been done, then it’s likely the screen is clogged and blocked. This will prevent fluid from getting to the pump (the noise it’s making means it’s starved) and cause the rez to overflow when fluid is pumped back into it (the ATF mess you have on the fender apron).
Got it. Going to drain and inspect tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

Just an update to those that stumble here; I removed the reservoir to clean the screen. It didn't look gunked up or anything like that at all. A few pieces of debris but nothing major at all. I sprayed it down with break cleaner and re-installed, filled fluid, and bled.

Fluid shout out from the cap and the pump is still making a groaning noise. Ordering a new pump tonight.

Part# 44320-60310

Just an update to those that stumble here; I removed the reservoir to clean the screen. It didn't look gunked up or anything like that at all. A few pieces of debris but nothing major at all. I sprayed it down with break cleaner and re-installed, filled fluid, and bled.

Fluid shout out from the cap and the pump is still making a groaning noise. Ordering a new pump tonight.

Part# 44320-60310

The swap won't be too bad. Keep an eye out for fragile vacuum line fitting on the back of the PS pump. The plastic nipple on the air vane tends to be brittle and mine and others have broken when replacing.

The swap won't be too bad. Keep an eye out for fragile vacuum line fitting on the back of the PS pump. The plastic nipple on the air vane tends to be brittle and mine and others have broken when replacing.
Yeah I’m not worried about it. I removed it when doing the alternator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom