Power Steering Pump Squeeling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anybody has experienced this. For the past month since the weather has started get cold in the AM the power steering pump squeels for the first couple turns as I pull out of the driveway in the AM. It also does it if it has been sitting at work for a couple hours. It only does it when the engine is cold and never for more than 20-30 seconds. I checked the power steering fluid and it was fine any ideas on what to check? Is the pump starting to go bad? Thanks for your help,
Mike

I have had the same problem (for the first time) this winter. It might be the belt squeeling a bit, but I haven`t really looked at it or worried about it because the sound goes away quickly or as soon as it warms up a little.... How many miles do you have on yours Mike?

I have 93,000 miles on mine. Plan on taking it in for the 90,000 mile service either this month or next. I'll probably get them to listen for it then when they have it. I'll get the belt replaced anyways so maybe that will take care of it.

Are you sure its not the belt itself? Or did you zero in on the pump. Sounds like an old belt to me. Have you tried spraying a bit of water on it while it is screaming at you? If the sound goes away you have a slipping belt/old belt. An old grandpa way of telling if a belt is old.

I have the same problem. Goes away when it warms up. What's puzzling is I had the belt replaced a month ago.

If the belt had just been replaced, check the belt tensioner. If the spring is weak, then there won't be enough tension in the belt, causing it to squeal.

Most likely, it is the belt squealing.

I just noticed this cold belt squeal this year, on my '99 LX470.

It still does it, after recent Serpentine Belt replacement.

Could be a weak belt tensioner, or could be caused by some kind of pump or power steering system anomaly related to the cold.

Anybody else have experience with this?

I have the same problem. :mad:

Believe it's the serp belt tensioner also. I contacted Beno and this is what he said:

"List price for the serp belt tensioner assy: $82.17 MUD: $61.63 (in stock)

I would also recommend changing the pulley that actually drives the fan clutch and sits on top of the water pump.

List: $226.58 MUD: $169.93 (special order)

And, the idler pulley. List: $74.73 MUD: $56.05 (in stock)

Anyway, all of those would pretty much take care of anything that is "rotating" up front on the outside of the timing cover."

Onur Azeri
Parts Department
American Toyota
Albuquerque, NM 87113

Having the same problem as of this morning. Seems like quite the coincedence that this started right after an especially muddy wheeling weekend, the type of mud that turns to concrete when it dries.

Did anyone get to the bottom of this? Mine is groaning even when I'm not turning the wheel and gets louder when I do. That would make sense as a belt issue since the belt turns all the time regardless of the wheel.

Service records also say this at 97K "INSTALL WATER PUMP AND IDLERS DURING TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT" The car currently has 123K.

Should I replace the belt and tensioner? Should I try a fluid exchange first?

I realize this is an old thread but, Did you ever figure this out? I am getting a similar groan. I'm wondering if I need to flush the power steering fluid?

Having the same problem as of this morning. Seems like quite the coincedence that this started right after an especially muddy wheeling weekend, the type of mud that turns to concrete when it dries.

Did anyone get to the bottom of this? Mine is groaning even when I'm not turning the wheel and gets louder when I do. That would make sense as a belt issue since the belt turns all the time regardless of the wheel.

Service records also say this at 97K "INSTALL WATER PUMP AND IDLERS DURING TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT" The car currently has 123K.

Should I replace the belt and tensioner? Should I try a fluid exchange first?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom