power steering pump solved (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
final diagnosis... bad pump. the parts store is getting me a new pump for the weekend.

next question.
there seems to be some discussion of what type of fluid to use..Power Steering fluid OR Automatic Tranny fluid.

which is what you guys use?
someone said PS fluid might be the cause of my lack of assist, and said to drain and fill with ATF

hammer

ATF here as well

could the use of PS fluid instead of ATF be the cause of my 1/2 funtioning power steering?

prolly not, I ran my fj80 for 100K+ with PS fluid.....

hammer1 said:
could the use of PS fluid instead of ATF be the cause of my 1/2 funtioning power steering?

I just drained my ps fluid and switched to atf. It may be a little quiter when its cold but other than that no huge differences.

The FSM calls for ATF. I run ATF with added Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak, which makes it work more quietly.

M

I use PS fluid Castrol in my PS oem pump .. with o problems, well no other with 37" tires, and get more strong arms each corner .. and parking time .. :D

used one

btw
iI have a used one available
am in atlanta, ga.
and of course as soon as i sell it i will need it for my 1988fj62.
the pump is from a 88 or 89 fj62

i bumped this up for one last question.
for s***s and giggles ( today, sunday), i raised the axle off the ground, and bled my system AGAIN. more black s*** came out, and then i did the fill and crank the wheel thing all over again.
when i drove it, it was fine for about 10 minutes, then became hard to turn at low speeds. what gives? can a pump actually be faulty, but to a small extent, rather than not work at all? am i ding something wrong?
i guess im asking one last time, before i pull the pump tonight, and swap it tomorrow for a new re-built.( can afford OEM ike i wanted)
hammer

i wonder if one of your hoses is actually collapsed on the inside and degrading causing all the black crap and a blockage of sorts almost like a capilary type action. It happens to brake lines alot . I'd check your hoses

is there a way to flush it with soem sort of liquid, other that dioing whatb im doinG. trouble is, monday afternoon is the last time i have any free time to do a swap, untill after memorial day. should i just do a pump swap, and then see what happens????
hammer

you definately want to find out wtf that black s*** is and where it is coming from. I really would suspect the lines. If you put a new pump on with all that s*** in there you may screw the new pump. If i were you o would replace the lines first then try the system. If it still seems screwy then do the pump. Using atf in the system should be enough to flush it due to its detergent properties.

stick with the atf mr toyota recommends it for a reason

the two return lines, or at least the return line to the resi, and the other line going to the steering box are way to nice looking to be anything other than a few years old. the hp hose, i replace along with the pump, because this is where i thought the leak was.
i dont have ANY time to play around, and am at a loss of what to do.

Its the hp hose that i would think maybe screwed. Buy both the pump and that hose. Change the hose first, check the system, if its still screwed then do the pump; unless you are into spending money on the pump anyway.

I just think if there is that much crap in there it has to be coming from somewhere. Seals , bushings, hoses. The hose seems like the first step in my book

good luck :beer:

the two return lines, or at least the return line to the resi, and the other line going to the steering box are way to nice looking to be anything other than a few years old. the hp hose, i replace along with the pump, because this is where i thought the leak was.
i dont have ANY time to play around, and am at a loss of what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom