Power Steering Pump Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like it's made in Tiawan...

1622037126042.png

It's been a weekend, I'm toast, I'm done.

Finished up one of my motorcycle projects. Had a major accomplishment there and was feeling all good about myself.

Went to start up my other truck, old Dodge Dakota, and the battery is dead. Ordered a new one, and when I went to remove the terminals, they just crumbled. Picked up some new terminals at the store along with the battery and came home and installed them.

Then it was time to start on the LC. Just suck it up and be prepared to make an unholy mess. I pulled the PS reservoir and tried to aim for my catch can under the truck and missed by a wide margin. That said, there's a very nice clean well oiled spot on my axle that is shiny and will never ever rust. Got everything out, fished the PS pump and high pressure line finagled out as one unit.

I was reading someone else's thread on this process and laughed when they said to hold the pump over your catch can to drain the fluid. I managed to drain most of the fluid just in the process of removing it, all over me, the driveway and various parts of the LC. Then I hold the pump over the catch can and there's nothing to drain. Till I start walking in the garage and suddenly there's PS fluid coming out all over. Sigh, it's like little surprises as I work on it.

So the bad news. New and shiny torque wrench says I got it right. So I'm ordering a new gear so I can be done with this mess.

Special thanks to @bob82pigdog who pointed me via PM directly to the gear partsouq which looks to be saving me quite a bit of money comparing to other places I'd looked. Hopefully I can put this all behind me next weekend and be driving it again.

Also, can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but I can't make the wits end power steering gear tool work for me. As soon as I get close to the torque values the gear just slips in the tool, even held in a vice. Wonder if something is wrong with my tool. Probably just me though.

Last edited:
When I had a shop do this on mine, turned out that the new pump itself was making the "takka takka" sound. They swapped in a new new pump and the sound went away.

Can relate to the ATF shower for the engine bay, did this myself replacing the LP / HP hoses in the fall rushing to finish so I could watch USC - UCLA football (Fight On!). In my case I swapped out a junkyard OEM HP unit for my PO's previous aftermarket one, worked a charm. Remember new crush washers for your banjo bolt.

I'm curious, @gixxerjasen, what happened with the torque wrench that made you have to order a new gear?
I figured either my ancient torque wrench undertorqued it, or it got damaged when the gear puller launched it across the garage. I pulled it out and tested with a brand shiny new torque wrench and it was all good. So something must be damaged that I don't notice. Either way, I don't want to drain and pull it again. The price at partsouq makes it tolerable to just plunk down the cash and go with it.

No worries, I got a brand new shiny torque wrench to add to my tools, so it's all good.

Banjo bolt got the new double washer when it was installed. I pulled the pump with the HP line on it because it's easier and I don't have to order more double washers.

Wow, that gear in the US is about $140 and its only $80 from Partsouq... I wasn't going to spend $140 just to be safe, but might do it for $80.
Partsouq is great, shipping can get pricey but it gets here quick. No idea how parts get from UAE to the US in like 2 days, while getting domestic mail takes a week...

Partsouq is great, shipping can get pricey but it gets here quick. No idea how parts get from UAE to the US in like 2 days, while getting domestic mail takes a week...

^^^^

That's before they send it to a completely different State and it has to be rerouted.....or just lose it outright. :mad:

Partsouq sends my parts FedEx, it ALWAYS gets here fine and in way less time than the USPS.

Ya'll ain't kidding. Over the holidays I sent a check (I know) priority mail and it took a month to get there. My gear was in Dubai yesterday morning and it's sitting here in my hands right now for the low shipping price of $13.58. I didn't think it'd be here so quick so I made plans this weekend. Oh well, looks like the weather doesn't want to cooperate anyway. Not to worry, soon enough the rain will move out and I'll be installing car parts in the blistering heat of a Texas summer sun. :D

Trivia about how parts can get to the US so quick from Partsouq: it's located in Dubai which is a (the) major travel/business hub in the Middle East. Before the Pandemic it was the 4th busiest airport in the world for passenger traffic and 7th for Cargo. Currently there appear to be five direct (~14 hour) FedEx Cargo flights to Memphis per week from Dubai.

So anything you order from Partsouq, if it is in stock, could be shipped the same day, arrive early the next day in the US, then directly into the US FedEx system.

FWIW

So they are a great place to buy the gear, but a terrible price on the pump itself... Weird.

So they are a great place to buy the gear, but a terrible price on the pump itself... Weird.
Yeah, I have found they have great prices for small, light parts. But big or heavy parts not so much.

Currently shopping for PS pump for my '91.
Any experienced recommendations for upgrades and/or reliable sources?

When I had a shop do this on mine, turned out that the new pump itself was making the "takka takka" sound. They swapped in a new new pump and the sound went away.
This comment has had me worried for a long time.

Ugh, took a long holiday weekend for me to finally have the stars align and there be decent weather and no unexpected things that needed taken care of and plans from the wife. I mean, I DID have to pull and replace a broken fence post this weekend, but still. I got the gear on, found a trick with the wits end gear holder. I put a couple of wide rubber bands around the gear before putting it in the holder and I was able to torque it correctly without it spinning in the holder. I just got everything put back together, got my son to disconnect from the online video games and come help with the bleeding process. Fired it up and there's NO takka takka takka. Woohoo. So glad to be finally putting this behind me. Tomorrow I'll do another bleeding process just to be sure, clean up the engine bay better than it is, and finally take her off the jack stands and go for a drive.

Currently shopping for PS pump for my '91.
Any experienced recommendations for upgrades and/or reliable sources?

No idea, I swapped for a brand new stock one, but did use the wits end cooler kit upgrade which is a very nice well put together kit.

This comment has had me worried for a long time.

Ugh, took a long holiday weekend for me to finally have the stars align and there be decent weather and no unexpected things that needed taken care of and plans from the wife. I mean, I DID have to pull and replace a broken fence post this weekend, but still. I got the gear on, found a trick with the wits end gear holder. I put a couple of wide rubber bands around the gear before putting it in the holder and I was able to torque it correctly without it spinning in the holder. I just got everything put back together, got my son to disconnect from the online video games and come help with the bleeding process. Fired it up and there's NO takka takka takka. Woohoo. So glad to be finally putting this behind me. Tomorrow I'll do another bleeding process just to be sure, clean up the engine bay better than it is, and finally take her off the jack stands and go for a drive.
Nice work! I wish I‘d done it myself in the end. For what it’s worth mine’s been fine since replaced last summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom