Power Steering Pump Rebuild (1 Viewer)

Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Messages
1,120
Location
Olathe, KS
Does anyone have a write up on rebuilding the PS pump? I have the FSM, but having a write up with pics always seems to help me much more when supplemented with a technical manual.

I did a search and looked through a ton of threads, but no write up anywhere.

If there's not one, then maybe its up to me to create one :D .

:cheers:

-Andrew
 

Onur

52122-60140
Moderator
GOLD Star
Joined
Aug 28, 2004
Messages
28,645
Location
Tabasco, NY
KC Cruiser said:
Does anyone have a write up on rebuilding the PS pump? I have the FSM, but having a write up with pics always seems to help me much more when supplemented with a technical manual.

I did a search and looked through a ton of threads, but no write up anywhere.

If there's not one, then maybe its up to me to create one :D .

:cheers:

-Andrew

Got the parts in my garage too--just haven't gotten around to it in the winter cold.

Go for it...contribute to the community!!

-o-
 

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
20,006
Location
Groveland MA
One thing I can tell you is that the vains in the pump are directional. One side is rounded and if you get them turned around you will most likely damage the pump. So when pulling out that cam with all the vanes tryu to keep it together and then wrap several rubber bands aroung it to hold those vains in place while you replace all the O-Rings.
 
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Messages
1,120
Location
Olathe, KS
landtank said:
One thing I can tell you is that the vains in the pump are directional. One side is rounded and if you get them turned around you will most likely damage the pump. So when pulling out that cam with all the vanes tryu to keep it together and then wrap several rubber bands aroung it to hold those vains in place while you replace all the O-Rings.

Glad you told me this before screwing something up. Great tip!

-Andrew
 

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Moderator
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
24,241
Location
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
KC Cruiser said:
I think that's a write up on replacement, I am rebuilding mine since its just leaky, and not broken.

-Andrew


Mine wasn't "broken" either. I just did not want to take it off, take it apart, put it back togther, put it back on the truck and then do it all over again afer the re-seal didn't work...:)
 
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Messages
1,120
Location
Olathe, KS
cruiserdan said:
Mine wasn't "broken" either. I just did not want to take it off, take it apart, put it back togther, put it back on the truck and then do it all over again afer the re-seal didn't work...:)
So what exactly are you trying to say here? :D

-Andrew
 

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Moderator
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
24,241
Location
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
I have poor luck when it comes to that kinda stuff....:eek:

If my billfold can take the hit, I prefer to replace pressurized components of this nature as opposed to over-hauling. I will always opt to replace hydraulic cylinders and pumps when I'm able to.
In the case of the PS pump, It was close to CM and I had a very small "labor time" window available to me and I did not have time to do the job twice if the re-seal failed.
 
Joined
Jul 20, 2004
Messages
24,774
Location
Chandler, AZ
It's not that difficult, note how it comes apart, if needed shoot some close-up digital pictures. Dirt is your enemy in this job, clean everything well and reassemble in a clean area, use the fluid that it will run on as an assembly lube.

pump_parts.jpg


pump_blades.jpg
 

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
20,006
Location
Groveland MA
Nice closeup of those vains, you can kind of see what I was talking about. When I did mine I was still in denial about using classes and it cost me a pump, but I'm still even with Dan.
 
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
1,858
The hardest thing for me was getting the cover back in place. I rebuilt mine just because, and I kind of wish I hadn't. The parts inside were perfect.
 
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
53
Location
Frenchtown, Mt
that looks like cake

I did my 60 today, and their was 24 tiny springs that went shooting all over my 5/8 inch rock driveway. It took a small priject and turned it into a Bi%%%. but I finally found every thing and went together easy.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom