Power Steering Pump Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a write up on rebuilding the PS pump? I have the FSM, but having a write up with pics always seems to help me much more when supplemented with a technical manual.

I did a search and looked through a ton of threads, but no write up anywhere.

If there's not one, then maybe its up to me to create one :D .

:cheers:

-Andrew

KC Cruiser said:
Does anyone have a write up on rebuilding the PS pump? I have the FSM, but having a write up with pics always seems to help me much more when supplemented with a technical manual.

I did a search and looked through a ton of threads, but no write up anywhere.

If there's not one, then maybe its up to me to create one :D .

:cheers:

-Andrew

Got the parts in my garage too--just haven't gotten around to it in the winter cold.

Go for it...contribute to the community!!

-o-

medtro said:
Here is one by the master. Sorry no pics.
I think that's a write up on replacement, I am rebuilding mine since its just leaky, and not broken.

-Andrew

One thing I can tell you is that the vains in the pump are directional. One side is rounded and if you get them turned around you will most likely damage the pump. So when pulling out that cam with all the vanes tryu to keep it together and then wrap several rubber bands aroung it to hold those vains in place while you replace all the O-Rings.

landtank said:
One thing I can tell you is that the vains in the pump are directional. One side is rounded and if you get them turned around you will most likely damage the pump. So when pulling out that cam with all the vanes tryu to keep it together and then wrap several rubber bands aroung it to hold those vains in place while you replace all the O-Rings.

Glad you told me this before screwing something up. Great tip!

-Andrew

KC Cruiser said:
I think that's a write up on replacement, I am rebuilding mine since its just leaky, and not broken.

-Andrew

Mine wasn't "broken" either. I just did not want to take it off, take it apart, put it back togther, put it back on the truck and then do it all over again afer the re-seal didn't work...:)

cruiserdan said:
Mine wasn't "broken" either. I just did not want to take it off, take it apart, put it back togther, put it back on the truck and then do it all over again afer the re-seal didn't work...:)
So what exactly are you trying to say here? :D

-Andrew

I have poor luck when it comes to that kinda stuff....:eek:

If my billfold can take the hit, I prefer to replace pressurized components of this nature as opposed to over-hauling. I will always opt to replace hydraulic cylinders and pumps when I'm able to.
In the case of the PS pump, It was close to CM and I had a very small "labor time" window available to me and I did not have time to do the job twice if the re-seal failed.

It's not that difficult, note how it comes apart, if needed shoot some close-up digital pictures. Dirt is your enemy in this job, clean everything well and reassemble in a clean area, use the fluid that it will run on as an assembly lube.

pump_parts.jpg

pump_blades.jpg

The hardest thing for me was getting the cover back in place. I rebuilt mine just because, and I kind of wish I hadn't. The parts inside were perfect.

that looks like cake

I did my 60 today, and their was 24 tiny springs that went shooting all over my 5/8 inch rock driveway. It took a small priject and turned it into a Bi%%%. but I finally found every thing and went together easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom