Power Steering Pump Rebuild or Replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well i've been needing a new power steering pump for a couple months, and I have a few questions before I do the job.

It's not leaking but its growlin pretty loud in the mornings and still growls a bit around turns when its warmed up.

#1 Rebuild existing or replace with another unit? Is it even worth it to rebuild the OEM or should I just get a new one(rebuilt one or spend big $$$ on a new OEM).

#2 If I rebuild the existing pump, what do I need to replace on a rebuild to take care of the growling noise? The rebuild kits seem to have parts that address leaks, but I dont see parts for other internal repairs. My local dealer showed me an exploded view of the internal workings and it seems like I can get different internal pieces.

#2a) Is the rebuild complicated, (springs popping out all over the place etc. etc.)

#3 If replacing, how much quality difference is there between OEM and aftermarket? I've read some threads that say Napa ones aren't that great and I need to make sure I use the proper bolts so it doesnt leak. Is there a particular aftermarket rebuilt or new one that people like alot?

CruiserParts.net has used ones w/ no noises for about $100 or new OEM ones foe $350, I haven't checked w/CDan for his price on New OEM.

Thanks,
Bryan

Rebuild can be done but usually you end up replacing it eventually. Only use new OEM from Dan. Anything else is a waste of time.

I would suggest to just replace it with a new one for sure. I bought a rebuilt one and it's now leaking again so I'm going to be going with a new one here soon. good luck.

I'm about to run into the same thing. Try and flush your system first to see if that buys you any time.

I agree with Dave, new OEM is the way to go.

When I first got my 60 the oil pump was leaking pretty bad which is a very common problem from what I hear. I didn't have the money to buy a new one so I chose to "rebuild" it, figuring when it started leaking again I would replace it. I got a kit for $40 which had all the o-rings and seals I needed for the "rebuild". This was 2 years ago and the damn thing hasn't leaked yet. So I think if you are not ready to shell ou the big bucks for a new one, "rebuilding" is not that bad of an idea. I know a lot of people here don't think it's a good idea, but it worked for me. Luck maybe.

READ MY POSTS FROM A FEW WEEKS BACK!!!!!!!!
Buy a new oem. Cruiser parts has one with the resi for 350 bucks. i went throught two rebuilds, which leaked or didnt work, in two weeks time. my local napa guy got me a true oem rebuild, and no problems.
unless you get an oem, rebuilt or not, your gonna be changing it again sooner than your want.
hammer

I guess i got really lucky, but knock on wood I rebuilt mine 4 years ago and it has not leaked a drop or had any other problems out of it and it is my DD, and is running 35's.

HTH.

Mine was groaning and weaping too. I bought that power steering pump leak stopper. I figured I was just gonna replace the pump anyway so why not try it. Turns out I am still leak free 4 months later. I know that's not an amazing amount of time but I'm only out 3$ not 350$!

Goin' OEM

After careful consideration, and reading ALL posts and threads I called Dan and got the OEM!

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going for the do it once do it right method.
I think rebuilding one myself would have been the next best thing. It seems like most of us who have gone through this haven't had the best results with the aftermarket pumps, and since I'm planning on keeping my 60 for the next 15 years, it seems like the best overall investment. P.S. Dan is the man!
Bryan

Toadhopper said:
After careful consideration, and reading ALL posts and threads I called Dan and got the OEM!.... P.S. Dan is the man!
Bryan
Good call. A little more money in the short-term, but it'll last for a long time.

And Dan is the man!

lovetoski said:
Good call. A little more money in the short-term, but it'll last for a long time.

And Dan is the man!
And not bad looking either

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom