Power Steering Pump rebuild & Hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just did this per the Awesome write-up in FAQ ... https://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-jefferson-state-cruisers/467550-fj80-lx450-ps-pump-rebuild.html

Followed it and Dan's write-up on removal and went smooth once I removed Battery, Tray and Oil filter... doing some other electrical work so had planned on doing this anyway... but made life way easier and didn't take that much time to remove it.

Decided to tackle this as its the last thing leaking from my truck... thought it was the seals in my pump, but after pulling it and the lines, realized my lines were hard as a rock and leaking as well... they were so hard in fact I could break them apart. I guess I shouldn't be surprised after 18 years and 210K miles. They still functioned a bit...

I ordered the OEM high pressure hoses, but was disappointed that you can't get the lines from the cooler by themselves without ordering the cooler (Paperclip).

I sourced better Gates hose for both the small low pressure lines and the larger low pressure line. Will be offering kits for those who don't want to buy the cooler ($$$) to get the lines. My cooler is fine with just a quick air blow through to get anything out... The lines aren't formed like the OEM, but with the short run, it really doesn't matter as they don't kink. I formed them in the picture to get the right length.

Stock has arrived to me and is now available as a kit with with clamps. Stock clamps don't clamp the new lines properly, so the kit will have the best Stainless Steel Breeze clamps.

PM me for now if you want one... I am doing a major upgrade to the site which is taking longer than expected with life getting in the way... it will eventually be at the new site...

Easy option to get everything in one place that exceeds OEM specs... especially if you don't have a NAPA close by like me.

Lines.jpg

Kit will have the green arrow marked lines...

Lines2.jpg

Last edited:
PMd you... Pricing and details in PM

Last edited:
A helpful hint that I read around here for putting bearings on a shaft without a press... Freeze the shaft in dry ice in your freezer (1-2 hrs) and bake the bearings at 225 degrees in your oven for 30 min.

Slid right on. This was after I ruined a bearing trying to get it on with a socket...

Also then froze the bearing and shaft before I put it back in the pump housing... worked like a charm.

I'm interested in a kit as well, I might be completely overlooking it on your site though. Please let me know how much these hose replacements are.

Great timing. I was just staring at my old, cracked and leaking power steering lines this morning and thinking I needed to replace those soon.

I need this kit!

PM'd.

Thx

Interested in the kit as well

Great tip on the dry ice. To get a super cooling effect, mix dry ice and denatured alcohol, mineral spirits or acetone.

The three Gates power steering hoses and breeze stainless steel clamps combined will be cheaper than the 1 larger Toyota OEM hose list price (that you can order).

I tried the OEM clamps but the Gates Power Steering hose has a slightly smaller OD so they don't really clamp that well, so the kit will come with new clamps.

I just buttoned it up last night getting correct hose lengths and best clamp orientation for ease of install.

Still waiting on a batch of smaller breeze clamps as I was sent the wrong size...

PM me in the meantime if you want pricing, order etc. I am having to have to re-do my entire (archaic) site that will have the update. Planning on taking the weekend to do it right and hopefully will be up by then. Life getting in the way!

Thanks for the interest everyone... kits are coming together this weekend and shipping out.

Some folks have inquired about the PS pump shaft bearing... unfortunately it is also not offered by Toyota at all, so I will be offering them.

I took a while and found the exact bearing that met or exceeded OEM Quality. Nachi Japanese bearings are top quality that is as good if not better than the Koyo or NSK bearings in the pump... those brands are all good... a NSK bearing came out of mine and had rough movement (not bad after 210K!). I couldn't find a reliable source that had the NSK or Koyo bearing in stock (at least on these shores).

These Nachis are the exact double metal shielded (ZZ) and sealed spec, including the C3 clearance designation that allows it to operate smoothly while hot and expanded inside the pump. This is critical... if you get a bearing yourself, make sure its a C3.

These are ZZ bearings... as Nachi America engineering explained to me, the stamp on the shield is actually the shield part number... these are double metal sealed... ZZ one Z per side. The E disignation is for the Excel series of bearings, which is an upgrade of their previous generation, hence the E to tell the stock apart.

If you are re-building your pump, you will most likely want to replace it... cheap, cheap insurance. PM me for pricing until the site gets updated...

I love well engineered hunks of metal... they are pleasing to look at...

Last edited:
Yep...this is on my todo list...pm inbound

What's the status of these kits? Anyone order/instal one yet? Good experience?? I need one. Thanks, Dan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom