Power steering pump questions lx470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed some fluid on the ground the other day and today I got to check a little more and the power steering pump reservoir is low and there does appear to be fluid all over the pump.

Would this just be a bad hose or does the pump leak when it goes bad. I can see where the fluid has been thrown around by the belt from leaking.

Thanks in advance and just need to know if I need a pump or just hoses.

Need pics and more info…Could be a hose, could be a seal in the pump.

Good point. I will try to get some pics later today and see if that helps. I know it is not hard to replace but no sense in replacing if just a bad hose. Just a tight spot to really try and see. I may try to spray some cleaner on it and then crank it again with some more fluid in the reservoir and take smore pics too.
Need pics and more info…Could be a hose, could be a seal in the pump.

Good point. I will try to get some pics later today and see if that helps. I know it is not hard to replace but no sense in replacing if just a bad hose. Just a tight spot to really try and see. I may try to spray some cleaner on it and then crank it again with some more fluid in the reservoir and take smore pics too.
It's common that those hose will weep from up top and cover everything in fluid.

Buy a can of degreaser like you mentioned and spray it all down to clean everything. Top off the fluid and monitor where the leak is coming from.

It's common that those hose will weep from up top and cover everything in fluid.

Buy a can of degreaser like you mentioned and spray it all down to clean everything. Top off the fluid and monitor where the leak is coming from.
Thanks I will try that and get photos.

UPDATE: We had to put a new radiator in the LX so while it was out and the air intake was removed I was able to clean off the power steering pump and get a good look. Somehow the two small hoses on the top on the firewall side of the pump were completely off. With the clips they have on them that is almost impossible unless someone worked on it and just pushed them on. Guess they finally came loose but I got them back on and fluid is staying where it should. Easy fix this time.

UPDATE: We had to put a new radiator in the LX so while it was out and the air intake was removed I was able to clean off the power steering pump and get a good look. Somehow the two small hoses on the top on the firewall side of the pump were completely off. With the clips they have on them that is almost impossible unless someone worked on it and just pushed them on. Guess they finally came loose but I got them back on and fluid is staying where it should. Easy fix this time.
The air hoses ? Lucky the little plastic doohickey didn't break .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom