Power steering pump noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 85 60 with a noise coming from the PS pump. clicking with the rpm of engine almost sounds like something hitting the fan but it is coming from the PS pump. faster when i rev. So my questions is: Is it the pulley bearing or the pump? Pump works fine. What is a good replacement pump? Does it come with a new pulley? what other hoses and seals should I replace when and if I pull the pump. I am fairly sure this one was put on in 1985 at the factory. Sorry if these dumb questions. thanks rich

My recommendation is to buy a new Toyota power steering pump now (new pulley is no longer available or needed) and drive with the old noisy pump until it stops working or leaks too much. You'll still be able to steer if the pump goes belly up, it'll just be a lot harder to turn the wheel. You don't need to replace any hoses unless there's an obvious problem with them

if it starts leaking, change it quickly, if you still have a smog pump, the ATF will destroy the smog pump

X2 on buying a new pump, it will last the rest of the rigs life.

Yup, that’s the one. Price is about as good as you’ll find, or thereabouts. You’ll re-use your old pulley and woodruff key (little half moon thing, don’t lose it).

Without a smog pump, removing and replacing is a lot easier.[/QUOTE]

The power steering pump pulley is held in place by a woodruff key. I would remove the pulley and inspect the key. I had one get buggered with a similar sound I guess. I ended up having to replace the key and the pulley. Since the pulley is NLA you should check it out quickly before you damage it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom