. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Inspect TR boots for evidence of leaks- they could be holding fluid from failed inner seal. Inspect all fittings and connections tracing hoses to & from reservoir, & LP & HP lines for leaks.

Elevate front wheels off the ground- flush PS circuit by turning steering wheel lock to lock (while engine is off). Use synthetic AT fluid not generic PS fluid.

Search the forum threads for PS Flush. @2001LC has a good procedure.

Hello all. I hadn't driven my 1999 cruiser for about a month. I went to drive it to work and the steering wheel was very hard to turn and very loud and whiny. Upon further inspection it appears that my power steering fluid reservoir was empty. It is possible the fluid leaked out by difficult to tell where the car is parked.

I filled the reservoir back up with power steering fluid and the steering wheel (while parked) is very hard to turn, feels jerky, and is whiny on startup without turning the wheel (Seems to get better as it warms up), but very very whiny and stiff when you try to turn the steering wheel.

Thoughts?
You can try adding an 8 oz bottle of AT205, which may stop the leak and buy you some time. If it leaks out again, you'll need to either replace power steering pump, steering rack, or both depending.

I filled the reservoir back up with power steering fluid and the steering wheel (while parked) is very hard to turn, feels jerky, and is whiny on startup without turning the wheel (Seems to get better as it warms up), but very very whiny and stiff when you try to turn the steering wheel.
Because it’s full of air. Need to bleed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom