power steering pump has a bolt not a nut? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

doing a timing belt job on my brother in law's 470. I've lived my life under the hood of a 60 and 80, so sorry if this is a dumb question as it's my first date with the V8. while removing the PS pump I noticed there was no bolt on the pulley, like somebody had taken it off and forgotten to put it back on. when trying to source the bolt, all I'm seeing is that the shaft should have a stud and it's actually a nut that retains the pulley. But what I was actually seeing were female threads. this makes it seem as if the pump is not stock but the history of the truck is very well known and doesn't include a new pump.

I'll see if the wife can snag a pic as I'm in the office at the moment, but has anybody encountered this before?

Also, those compressor bolts...sheesh! sure has me missing all the room around the straight 6.

thanks.

It's normal. My 2000 has a nut, but later versions are just like you stated. My 21 Taco also has the same pulley as you stated.

It's normal. My 2000 has a nut, but later versions are just like you stated. My 21 Taco also has the same pulley as you stated.
cool, thanks for confirming that. I refine my search for the bolt.

If you have the VIN handy, partsouq.com has a really thorough set of diagrams. Should be easy from there to land on the part number.

Hi All,

doing a timing belt job on my brother in law's 470. I've lived my life under the hood of a 60 and 80, so sorry if this is a dumb question as it's my first date with the V8. while removing the PS pump I noticed there was no bolt on the pulley, like somebody had taken it off and forgotten to put it back on. when trying to source the bolt, all I'm seeing is that the shaft should have a stud and it's actually a nut that retains the pulley. But what I was actually seeing were female threads. this makes it seem as if the pump is not stock but the history of the truck is very well known and doesn't include a new pump.

I'll see if the wife can snag a pic as I'm in the office at the moment, but has anybody encountered this before?

Also, those compressor bolts...sheesh! sure has me missing all the room around the straight 6.

thanks.
I recall it being easier to just remove the power steering pump mounting bolts and just moving it aside. Bungee cord or two to help keep it out of the way. But I could be wrong.... =\

AC Compressor is a doozie, I think I was able to sneak a long extension in from the wheel well after removing the splash guards.

I recall it being easier to just remove the power steering pump mounting bolts and just moving it aside. Bungee cord or two to help keep it out of the way. But I could be wrong.... =\

AC Compressor is a doozie, I think I was able to sneak a long extension in from the wheel well after removing the splash guards.
Yeah, that's my plan with the pump also, evidently the last guy in here chose to pull the pulley and forgot the bolt that put secures it. It's a wonder it stayed in place for so long.

for that lower bolt I used a u-joint at the end of the socket, then 3" extension to a second u-joint, which situated right between the PS hard line and the steering rod boot. from there a 10" extension out the wheel well let me finally crack it loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom