Power steering pully swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Well I have a new power Saginaw pump coming and have located and purchased a power steering pump at a local salvage yard. My thought was to use the pully from the Volvo pump on a new Saginaw pump.

How does the pully come off! :mad: Does it have somthing to do with the hexagonal fitting on the pump shaft? :confused: The Volvo pump does have a bolted pully with a separate hub but I want to take both the hub and pully off to use on the new pump.

Thanks for the advice!

Regards,

You need a power steering pulley puller! :)

Should be able to find one at a decent parts house for rent...you will need the installer also, to put the pulley back on.

Good luck!

-Steve

the pulleys are a PITA to get off. I sort of had the some problem. Except I had a used saginaw pump and a used volvo pump. All I did was unscrew the fittings from each on and swap it. So my metric volvo pump had standard fittings and the right pulley. Way easier, but you have new saginaw pump... so don't listen to me

Thanks for the help.

BTW...does the hex head in the center of the pully shaft have anything to do with pulling the pulley off?

Dunno, I just know that when I installed my p/s setup, I pounded the S&%T out of that pulley to get in on, it's too big, and it will NEVER come off! So, when it goes bad, it's off to the junkyard for me.

Semi-unintentional hijack attempt here:

Question: are all p/s pumps alike? I need one with a smaller pulley than I have; is the mounting somewhat universal? I know the pulleys have different sizes and spacing and such, but are the "hamcan" housings all more or less the same?

nial

while were on the subject . Does anyone know what vehicle make /model has a wide pulley (landcruiser style) that will fit on a chevy/ saginaw press fit type pump I'm having a hard time locating one wide enough.It appears as though the one from MAF uses a nut to hold their pulley on so I don't think it will work on the pump I have currently.

A hydraulic press makes quick smooth work of pulley pulling and installing. The setup takes longer than the job takes.

That MAF pulley must be made for custom fitting. It's hole is smaller than any pump shaft I've seen so the pulley needs the hole bored or reamed to a press fit.

Most Saginaw pump shafts have a threaded hole, or at least the ones I've seen do, and that hole is for pulling down a pulley with a bolt, I think. Probably not a bad idea to also use the hole for installing a bolt/washer full time as a backup holddown.

You can make a keyway by drilling carefully into the crack between pulley and shaft. Chose a bit that is just smaller than an eight penny nail and use the nail to pin the pulley from spinning on the shaft.

I don't know why the GM engineers have made pulleys for those skinny belts. Doesn't make good sense to me.

That's about all I know about P/S pulleys.

too tall said:
Does anyone know what vehicle make /model has a wide pulley (landcruiser style) that will fit on a chevy/ saginaw press fit type pump

Volvo 240 80's. I bought the whole pump and mounts for $5 and pressed off the hub and pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom