power steering pulley removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

plink01

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys im in the process of cleaning the engine bay and I've taken my power steering pump off for a clean and a paint.
But I can't get the bloody pulley off!!

I've got the nut off no dramas but I'm wondering if there is a trick to get the pulley off that isn't wailing on it with a hammer.

I've given it a bit of a whack with a rubber mallet but I feel as though im doing something wrong.

Its got one of these woodruff keys in it, do I need to do something with that??

Its a factory Toyota pump off a 1982 BJ42.

Thanks for your help!

20201205_190257.jpg

20201205_190252.jpg

20201205_182248.jpg

Will the pump unbolt from the bracket without getting the pulley off?

The idea is to get a bearing seperator behind the pulley with the nut on the shaft and tap the shaft to break the pulley loose from the shaft.

Subscribed! :beer:

====
1984 BJ42, frame-off restored, factory H55F, 4E9 Toyo Beige colour
1983 BJ45 P/UP, resto project
1942-44 Willys 1/4 ton trailer, resto project

Nah the bolts arnt really accessible without great difficulty. My spanner would probably round them.
Im thinking it probably requires a puller of some description.
Unless that woodruff key thing has something to do with it but im not sure how it works as I've never seen one before.

When I replaced my power steering pump, I used an impact driver to loosen the pulley nut, then put it back on by a few threads and firmly tapped the back of the pulley with a rubber mallet. It came right off.

My approach would be...
1.With pulley facing up maintain a puddle of penetrating oil around the shaft soaking for a few days.
2. While soaking, check price and availability of another pulley so I know just how aggressive I can afford to get.
3. A three jaw puller with three pieces of flat bar under each jaw to spread the pressure out . Stamped steel pulleys bend easy.
4. Load up the puller as much as you dare and whack the puller bolt with a hammer. Or better yet, if you have one, hit the puller bolt with and air hammer chisel using the bull point.

The pulley is off!! You ledgends! Thanks for the help.

I had nearly put it in the too hard basket and was just going to get the power steering man to sort it out, but you guys came through with the goods.
Now I can clean and paint the mounts and pulley while the power steering man does his work.

I soaked it for a few hours in CRC then got my little hammer out and tapped around the pulley and it came off.
I probably would have tried that earlier but that woodruff key made me think I needed a bearing puller.

This place never disappoints, thanks again!

20201207_191405.jpg

That is a tricky pulley t9 get off - good job. I know I have mangled one pulley or another with a 3-jaw puller, so those are almost a no-no from the start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom