Power steering problems!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ever sense I bought my 86 fj60 a couple months ago ... From day one the power steering has been REALLY hard to steer (it feels like the power steering pump is slowing it down ) even when the vehicle is moving its hard to steer !!!!! So I was wondering if anyone has ever had this problem and if they have found the solution that fixed it .. Could the pump be bad?? Or can the filter reservoir be dirty ??

Things that I have done to fix but to no avail ....
1...flushed old fluid out and replaced with fresh fluid
Still didn't work
2...replaced low pressure return line " saw a small leak "
Na still didn't fix it

Any useful advice would be awesome !!!!!! Thanks

You replaced with ATF, not power steering fluid, right?

Last edited:
You replaced with ATF, not power steering fluid, right?

So should I do ATF over standard power steering fluid ??
Cuz yes I did you power steering fluid
Any type of ATF cuz is ant there like multiple types ?

ATF vs power steering fluid won't cause that much of a headache.

Chances are, either your pump is bad, or the box is in need of a rebuild. There is a good chance that both are true. My PS box used to get harder to turn after the truck warmed up. what was happening was when the PS fluid heated up, it would bypass the inner seals in the box.

New seals in the box and I was golden..

Last edited:
So should I do ATF over standard power steering fluid ??
Cuz yes I did you power steering fluid
Any type of ATF cuz is ant there like multiple types ?

ATF vs power steering fluid won't cause that much of a headache.

Yep, if anything power steering fluid will outperform ATF, so not the problem. Is it making noise?

Yep, if anything power steering fluid will outperform ATF, so not the problem. Is it making noise?[/QUOTE

Yes, it groans and moans as I literally have to turn it with both hands ... I noticed that when I turn the vehicle off the fluid rises a little and is all foamy (not just on top but all the way through the reservoir it's very foamy)

Yes, it groans and moans as I literally have to turn it with both hands ... I noticed that when I turn the vehicle off the fluid rises a little and is all foamy (not just on top but all the way through the reservoir it's very foamy)

When the fluid gets foamy like that, it is because there are tiny air bubbles in the fluid. Usually those air bubbles get into the fluid when the fluid level in the PS pump reservoir is low enough that the pump at the bottom of the reservoir draws air (in addition to the fluid it is supposed to be drawing in) and pumps it through the system.
Try this:
First thing in the morning (after the vehicle has been sitting all night), check the PS fluid level in the PS pump reservoir...if it is low, this might be the cause for air getting into the fluid...add PS fluid as necessary then start the engine and see if the symptoms go away.
If you check the PS fluid level in the reservoir first thing in the morning and it is full, then there is most likely another way that air is getting into the system...maybe through a leaking hose fitting, etc..

Also, whenever you break a line to do repairs and let air in behind the pump, you've got to 'purge' the air from the system. There is a procedure in the FSM on how to do this. If you don't purge the air, then you get those tiny bubble trapped suspended in the fluid...

Have you bleed her? Jack front off ground and turn wheel lock to lock at mod pace. prior to that- pull thereturn line and dump fluid till clean (adding more as you go). Also I really like the lucas ps additive. Used out on many vehicles with excellent results.

Beat me slow left.
Ha Ha! Sorry dude...wasn't trying to steal your thunder...you did a much more concise job and even told him how to bleed the system...I was just still rambling from the previous thread when I realized I should at least mention it...

Do you use the Lucas PS additive in with the ATF? Even if it's not leaking? Helps extend the OEM PS pump life?

I put a little of that stuff in the system before I fixed the lower pressure return line leak (it was the hose worn as a result of the hose clamp). I've also got installing an inline filter of some sorts...if I remember correctly there is a post in a thread by Spike Strip out here on MUD somewhere recommending which filter to get...

Post #19 in this thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/power-steering-pump-hose.794247/#post-9049287

If the steering box is way out of adjustment that will increase steering effort as well.

Frank

When the fluid gets foamy like that, it is because there are tiny air bubbles in the fluid. Usually those air bubbles get into the fluid when the fluid level in the PS pump reservoir is low enough that the pump at the bottom of the reservoir draws air (in addition to the fluid it is supposed to be drawing in) and pumps it through the system.
Try this:
First thing in the morning (after the vehicle has been sitting all night), check the PS fluid level in the PS pump reservoir...if it is low, this might be the cause for air getting into the fluid...add PS fluid as necessary then start the engine and see if the symptoms go away.
If you check the PS fluid level in the reservoir first thing in the morning and it is full, then there is most likely another way that air is getting into the system...maybe through a leaking hose fitting, etc..

Also, whenever you break a line to do repairs and let air in behind the pump, you've got to 'purge' the air from the system. There is a procedure in the FSM on how to do this. If you don't purge the air, then you get those tiny bubble trapped suspended in the fluid...

Have you bleed her? Jack front off ground and turn wheel lock to lock at mod pace. prior to that- pull thereturn line and dump fluid till clean (adding more as you go). Also I really like the lucas ps additive. Used out on many vehicles with excellent results.

If the steering box is way out of adjustment that will increase steering effort as well.

Frank

Hey thanks guy really appreciate I will try everything you guys say and get back to you as soon as possible ...... Again thanks

If you do try to adjust the box without a torque meter make sure there is still a little play over the whole range of steering. The sector gear tends to wear more around the center and if you adjust it there it could bind at the limits. The right way is to use a torque meter. There is a process well outline in the FSM and it is not hard but you do need the meter to do it which is a few bucks.

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom