Power steering problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2016 LC, 85k miles
I’m having a problem with my power steering (I think). I’m on vacation (isn’t that always the way it goes?) so no access to my shop/tools to aid diagnosis. Over the last couple days the steering has become much heavier. It it not a “constant” heaviness, but sort of increases as the wheel turns, reaches a maximum (at maybe 45* of steering wheel rotation), then drops off. That seems to repeat against the turn continues (I haven’t done a bunch of tight turns so this isn’t well characterized)

Power steering fluid level is fine. (Fluid (ATF of course) was changed by me when I bought it at 58k)
Does this sound like a PS pump or rack problem?
It’s not terrible to drive (other than in parking lots), so is it likely safe to wait until I get home to diagnose/fix?

Tips on what else to check to narrow it down?
Thanks for any advice!

broc

Post #4 here sounds exactly like my problem. That u-joint is definitely very rusty so I’m going to try the multiple soakings with penetrating oil...

For anyone who encounters this in the future: the WD-40 ( not normally a fan but easily available) I’ve been spraying on the intermediate shaft u-joint multiple times per day has definitely made a difference. That should get us home where I can replace the intermediate shaft properly.

If that joint is rusted to the point of being difficult to operate - what does the test of your truck look like?

If that joint is rusted to the point of being difficult to operate - what does the test of your truck look like?
Actually pretty good for a northeast truck. I am surprised it is that bad given how (relatively) good the rest of the frame etc looks. The KDSS valves for example were not bad to loosen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom