Power Steering Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

During my ham fisted f'up up my chain slipper I noticed that the drive gear to the oil pump and PS pump is not keyed. The timing sprocket is however. I beleive this is to help protect the crank should a lockup failure at either of those pumps happen and the gear simply spins. Obviously if enough slipping happens the bushing behind the gear will be toast.

Get that crank bolt torqued!

Man you guy's are great.

I went with my club to restore a trail at a place called Jenny creek today. Sunk 90 fence posts and ran cable. Felt great getting that done to keep the idiot off roaders on the trail.

On the way home my power steering got considerably worse AND now the oil pressure went to crap.

I went to Pep Boys (Only thing still open) and bought a 32MM socket and a 1&1/4 wrench (looked like the same size). I was able to get the wrench in on the crank bolt and synched it down. It was loose. Took it for a drive and no Power Steering Problems and no Oil pressure problems.

Next step will be to take the fan and shroud off so it can be torqued. My wrench only goes to 150 lbs. So to get 304 lbs I may just take it to the shop that installed it. Course, I always like another tool, have to see how much the craftsman torque wrench is that goes that high.

Now to see how the Shaman's return policy is

It should be, with medium strength stuff.

Ahhhhhh, all nice and tight with a little dab of loc-tite. Guess this would be a good lesson learned for a supercharger install. The directions don't say to use loc-tite.

And I now have a 32mm socket and a huge 1 1/4 crecent wrench that can do double time as a tard control device. (Gotta look at the bright side)

Locktite alone isn't going to getthe job done. The 304 ftlbs is to provide enough clamping force to ensure drive, not to make sure the bolt doesn't back out. Two completely different reasons for a torque spec.

Ken and I already had that discussion and he is aware of the clamping requirement. The original bolt comes pre-coated with a thread locking compound as well.

That otta do it...:D

Thanks guys. I appreciate your both looking out for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom