Power steering parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
So I need a few parts and don't know where to get them. I want to keep stock steering wheel. I have the Sagnaw steering box and can figur out all the hose and mounting it to the frame my question is where can i find the bearing support for the colum and the slip yoke and two ujoints?

Do I need any other parts to connect the steering box to the steering colum? plates, brackets?

Would a farmers supply have any of this stuff.

Spector is just to freeking expensive on this stuff.

Any hot rod shop will carry that kind of stuff too.

I would check summitracing.com they have a ton of stuff like that for general use.

Rezarf <><

You know what killed me was the hoses, my local Napa guys are just dumb sometimes, they sat on my hoses for weeks before I called them and asked them if they were done. The told me they could not make them, after telling me they could. Anyway... I found the perfect length supply hose in a 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix.

I bought a pillow block in town for $12. Had to file the 4 mounting holes to fit the firewall bolt pattern.

Bought Flaming River shaft and u-joints. Factory direct. Big bucks. The shaft is collapsible so no slip joint needed. The spud shaft that some vendors sell was also unnecessary since I recessed the gear box into the crossmember.

Had to cut the rag joint off the Cruiser column and machine D "flats" to accept the upper u-joint.

I can look for the part numbers if you like. Might take a day or two.

Here is another link from the tech links. Also includes an extensive list of local parts

Hi All:

"Trollhole," shoot me your e-mail addy - I have a list of the parts I used for the Saginaw P/S swap on my '74 FJ40. Got most of the bits at a local u-joint supply shop.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

You can use steering joints from other vehicles sourced from the salvage yards too instead of the expensive bling Flaming River stuff... I've used the steering shaft from an Astro van on a couple of conversions. I modified the end of the steering column to work with the Astro steering column joint. The steering shaft was cut in half and lengthened with a piece of tube. The box joint fit right up to the box I used and has the slip build in. When you're lengthing the steering shaft be sure to center the slip section of the slip joint and keep the u-joints in phase. I got the lower support bearing from Northern Tool for $7-8 plus shipping. Had to slot the holes to fit the Cruiser column but since the cast iron was soft it filed very quickly.

HTH,
Nick

The pillow block bearing is wholey un necessary.

Take the steering column apart. There is a plate that bolts to the firewall and a tube that bolts to this plate. Between this plate, the tube and the steering shaft there is a neoprene 'bushing'. You remove this bushing, pull the steering shaft out of the column, then take the tube and plate to the hardware store. You need a 3/4" ID bearing. Get the closest bearing you can fit between the tube and the plate.

It shouldn't cost more than $6.

It would be great if someone could post up all of the part numbers they have used. I have yet to find a writeup that lists the collapsable steering shaft part number. It seems everyone buys from TPI and they certainly are not going to give up the part number.

If some of the earliler posters don't want to post and only email their parts lists please include me and I will post the lists here. fj40smurf@yahoo.com

Thanks

Scott R said:
You know what killed me was the hoses, my local Napa guys are just dumb sometimes, they sat on my hoses for weeks before I called them and asked them if they were done. The told me they could not make them, after telling me they could. Anyway... I found the perfect length supply hose in a 1978 Pontiac Grand Pr ix.
Same deal here. Liability bullshitz something or another. I, like you got what I was looking for by finding a small hydraulic hose shop. Litigation has ruined ingenuity.

Schucks/Kragen/Checker Powercraft 91875 Power steering
hose $17.99 (1)

Schucks/Kragen/Checker Cardone 20140 Power Steering
pump $53.99

Autozone ATSCO 6529 Power Steering Gear $152.99 (4 bolt 4 turn box)

5' fuel/Power steering line from One of the above
stores.

????? Ford Pitman Arm. E350 van $53.77 (1)

????? 7/8" Chevy Tie Rod End. $25 (1)

????? Matching jam nut for above. $2 (1)

Summit Racing BRG-910 Boregeson steering shaft $219
(1)

Schucks/kragen/checker power steering belt (1)

6an 5/8" fitting for the low pressure side of the box $8 (house of hose)

You will need to hav eyour drag link modified for the above mentioned tie rod end.

You will need to have a scab plate fabricated for the box mounting

you will need to figure out a ps pump mounting solution. JToutfitteres/Man-A-Fre's bracket is overpriced for what it is(n't).

HTH

Trollhole said:
I've got the hoses covered. We have a shop here in G'ville that custom makes hoses. Cline co.

Great company and can make just about anything.

I'd second that about Cline Co. They'll even make them while you wait.
Great service and good old boys. Good prices too. I've even used them for MB hoses.

Tigerstripe40 said:
Schucks/Kragen/Checker Powercraft 91875 Power steering
hose $17.99 (1)

Schucks/Kragen/Checker Cardone 20140 Power Steering
pump $53.99

HTH
Are these later-model 80's metric with O-ring or earlier SAE w/ flare?

dgangle said:
Are these later-model 80's metric with O-ring or earlier SAE w/ flare?

Earlier SAE w/ flare

-James

Tigerstripe40 said:
Summit Racing BRG-910 Boregeson steering shaft $219
(1)

HTH

Holy crap that expensive. Are there any cheaper shafts that I could get at lets say a napa that would be any cheaper? Can you use a staight shaft without a slip yoke.

Trollhole said:
Holy crap that expensive. Are there any cheaper shafts that I could get at lets say a napa that would be any cheaper? Can you use a staight shaft without a slip yoke.

Yeah, you can use a straight shaft.

FWIW, I have been using one for about 2 years now.
It will bash the @#$ out of your PS box, though, and blow out the seals on the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom