power steering part III (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
okay, since i still have not had time to remove and replace me "defective" re0built steering pump, i went ahead this am ( Sat), and replpaced the two return hoses, hoping that this would clear my system of the blavk gunk, which i would get while bleeding the system in the pasts.
after clearing the old stuff out, i refilled and re-bled untill the return was clean. filled her up, and did the rock the wheel, turn on the engine, rock the wheel some more. lots of bubbles, and i had to fil the resi up a few times.....

SAME PROBLEM!!!!

so its got to be the pump, right???
but another theing, there is some metal shavings in the resi. i was able to get them out with a magnet. it this from the old pump going bad, or is it somethign else? could this be clogging my lines still, and should i just keep on bleeding when i can, for a few days???

i must admit, last time this happend, it DID get better as the days went on. am i just feeling frustrated?? should i drive it around a while more??

one last thing, a good laugh....while i was bleeding out the return hose, i turned on the car without re-connecting it. slap went the hose, and fluid poured all over the inside of the compartment, and into my driveway. stupid me
its parked in the street now, dripping into the storm drain.

any sugestions???
hammer

bump

Don't drip in the storm drain.

Sounds like the pump isn't pumping, or the pressure relief is stuck open. You could try to extract the relief valve spool and clean it out but I think the time would be better spent swapping the pump.

i put the first pump in soon after i got the truck. about 6 years ago.
this is the second i know of.
thing is, there is nothing out of the ordinary with the steering i can see. evertything is as it should be, no clunking, and the wheels return back straight okay, and worked fine untill i replaced the pump, since it was leaking big time.
i dod change the HP hose, and the two return hoses.
i guess the worst is that right after i start the engine, things work fine, back down the driveway, and i can turn the wheel with my finger.frive a few minutes, and it tightens up

im thinking about a front end shop...seems too weird that it comes and goes, mostly goes.

hammer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom