Power steering overheating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We were running around the middle of KY this past Friday and Saturday and had the power steering intermittently fail.
No trails, just lots of cranking the wheel in Mt, Vernon as we were checking the place out. The power steering would suddenly just not function during a tight U-turn and then it would be right back. I popped the cover off and the fluid was boiling.
It did this little on/off blip of power a couple more times throughout the driving.

No groaning, no drips, no fluid loss since re-sealed a year or so ago.
The fluid is bright ruby red and doesn't smell burnt.
It's pouring rain now so further diagnostics need to wait.

Is it time for a Witt's End Power Steering Cooler?

No, I guess I'm not sure. But there was no froth, like one would expect with air in the oil.
It was roiling in the reservoir cup like water at a hard boil though....Could be just pump flow.
Dead clear, ruby red and just a roiling, and intermently not working.

Last edited:
No, I guess I'm not sure. But there was no froth, like one would expect with air in the oil.
It was roiling in the reservoir cup like water at a hard boil though....Could be just pump flow.
Dead clear, ruby red and just a roiling, and intermently not working.
If the vehicle is running, it will be moving like that. The ‘roiling’ looks like boiling, but is just normal fluid flow. At least mine does that… now I’m wondering if something is wrong. 😂😂

It’s always going to be “boiling” rolling if the truck is on. The problem is “losing” your power steering during a turn while, by your account, just basic driving in NOT hot weather.

Time to dig out the FSM diagnostics section. It's stopped raining and I can get to the shop without getting drenched.
I'm such a "house cat" sometimes. LOL

As for groaning... When at full lock there's a whine but all systems do that. I also avoid full lock like the plague, why abuse the system unnecessarily?

When at full lock there's a whine but all systems do that. I also avoid full lock like the plague, why abuse the system unnecessarily?

No reason not to hit full lock.
Just back off the pressure on the steering wheel once you hit full lock and you should get no significant groaning / whining.

Hold the wheel hard at full lock it'll groan.

I'll also vote for air in the system.

Those reservoirs have screens in them that ive seen get clogged up before. Worth having a look at….I believe you can see the screen through the large supply port on the bottom….of course you’ll need to drain it and remove it off the truck to see clearly.

If that’s the case I wouldn’t even attempt to clean it, I’ve tried unsuccessfully. OEM is still available… I think.

Those reservoirs have screens in them that ive seen get clogged up before. Worth having a look at….I believe you can see the screen through the large supply port on the bottom….of course you’ll need to drain it and remove it off the truck to see clearly.

If that’s the case I wouldn’t even attempt to clean it, I’ve tried unsuccessfully. OEM is still available… I think.
Now there's something I hadn't thought of, thank you for the hint.

x2

If I open mine while running, it pukes fluid everywhere.

Either fluid low or screen clogged.

The fluid is not low, so therefore the screen is clogged.
Part will be on order shortly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom