Power Steering Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to install PS on my 77. Have reviewed several options, but leaning towards an OEM 79-pump and a minitruck box. I have no AC or air pump. Just the alternator on passenger side. The 2F engine block number (2F 789281) I believe to to be from 1983, and I don't know what year head is or if that matters. Would appreciate if any of the experts on Mud can tell me if what I have in the photo would accept an OEM style pump and bracket?

IMG_2984.jpg

Yes - you have the holes drilled in that block for the 79 and later pump bracket.

I bought new reproduction pumps from City Racer and one is on my 55 with mini truck box and one is in my 40 with a Saginaw box.

I like the Saginaw the best. Super tight. Gets rid of the push/pull drag link and center arm.

I’m

Can you advise which holes are for PS and which are for the air pump?

the three at the top front drivers side.
If you go with a OEM setup with City Racer pump you need bracket and pulley from
A parts truck.
If you go Saginaw pump Georg will have what you need. FYI. Mini truck boxes are getting hard to find.

I’m

Can you advise which holes are for PS and which are for the air pump?

as stated the pump mounts to the 3 holes under the #1 exhaust port, 2 shown in pic and the 1 on the front of the block.
air pump mounts to a bracket that is not in the pic above. the bracket mounts under the engine mount bracket, you can see the 2 holes in front and behind the engine mount bracket, the holes are vertical

Whichever pump you run, I have a strong preference for FJ60/62/80 series steering box. Tight like saginaw, better feel, doesn't look funny stuck out in front of the frame crossmember plus don't have to hack up the crossmember. A little more fab work required though since there are no plates made to weld in.

Whichever pump you run, I have a strong preference for FJ60/62/80 series steering box. Tight like saginaw, better feel, doesn't look funny stuck out in front of the frame crossmember plus don't have to hack up the crossmember. A little more fab work required though since there are no plates made to weld in.

You can contact IPOR and purchase a plate to weld in. Requires some massaging, but not too difficult.

60 steering box with 62 pump. My alternator is on driverside
1132EE4E-7737-49BB-B2F3-294881BFF59D.jpeg
C646BC6E-CC92-4D75-94C6-6C47CDBAA9D0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom