Power steering on a '78 BJ40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bj40green

Tssss, tssss
Threads
Hi all,

I've a '78 BJ40. Somebody is selling a complete OEM FJ40 power steering set up.
My question is: Is this just a wrench job, replace the steering box, and add the pump, bracket and tubing? Or is it a cut and weld job?
I think the P/S set is from a '79 or later FJ40, not sure yet. I've to figure that out.

Any advice is welcome.

Rudi

Last edited:
Take a look here : https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...teering-gear-box-bj42-w-o-power-steering.html

There is 2 types of steering colum shaft for the 40 serie. Not sure when they change the shaft (year). In all case, you probably have to cup yours or used the P/S one. The P/S gearbox is different too.

Some mod should be require for the pump installation. Instead of the gearbox... it is not bolt-on.
2009-06-26 BJ42 restauration (05).jpg

Last edited:
Aha, so I understand that the PS steering box is 1" bigger and therefore I have to cut the shaft by an inch. Right?

What else is different?

Rudi

Obviously, I recommend you to do your own calculations, but ... yes, 1 inch a very good proxy.

Someone esle have to state for difference between FJ and BJ P/S pump... since I did not have to ''play'' with that mod. I used a BJ60 P/S pump (BJ42 and BJ60 share the same pump, same location (3B))

In any case, a new P/S pressur line should be on your list

Top : w/o P/S gear box
Bottom : w P/S gear box
2009-06-26 BJ42 restauration (09).jpg
2009-06-26 BJ42 restauration (10).jpg

Last edited:
Did you go ahead with the installation?
How did it go?
What components did the kit consist of?

The seller never replied to my questions, so I'm still looking for the info and parts.

Rudi

I'm also hoping to get power steering on a BJ40. The steering box has allot of solutions. The big problem appears to be the mounting of the pump on a B engine. Not much info out there.
Heystee Automotive where I bought some parabolic springs has a interesting solution for the pump, but then uses a hydraulic ram as steering assist.
I'm considering to go that route. The pump installation is clean and compact, and needs only one drive belt on the front of the engine.
I have doubts about the assisted ram steering. It may be possible to use this pump with another steering box depending on the flow and pressure required.
Cheers,
B&B

This is my spare engine when I bought it:

EngineSpare2.jpg

I removed that PS pump and it may be lying somewhere in my garage now, although I may also have thrown it out for all I know.

(I certainly know I haven't stumbled across it lately as I climb over all the junk in there anyway.)

:beer:
EngineSpare2.jpg

Hi Tom,

Just a question.... Yours is a RHD, mine a LHD, do you have any idea if that pump stays on the same side of the engine no matter RHD or LHD? The EPC is not very clear on this.

Rudi

Thanks for posting that picture, it poinst me in the right direction.
Is this an OEM setup?
Your old pump and bracket up for sale?
Cheers,
B&B

. Yours is a RHD, mine a LHD, do you have any idea if that pump stays on the same side of the engine no matter RHD or LHD? The EPC is not very clear on this...Rudi

There are two big female threads on the RH-side of the block and nothing simlar on the LH-side Rudi. So based on that I'd say that the RH-side is the only side for mounting a PS pump (or alternatively - an airconditioning compressor).

My pump was attached with four bolts as shown here:

8Aug12B.jpg

Also the lower radiator hose and battery tray are obstacles on the left-side, even if you could find some way of securing something there.

Thanks for posting that picture, it poinst me in the right direction.
Is this an OEM setup?
Your old pump and bracket up for sale?
Cheers,
B&B

No it's definitely not OEM because the bracket is pretty roughly made.

I rummaged around in the garage and actually found that PS pump so here are some more photos to show how it was mounted:

8Aug12A.jpg

8Aug12C.jpg

I think you're best going to an auto wrecker and getting a PS-pump with the correct pulley to match your Vee belt, and then making up your own bracket to suit. (And then you can get the reservoir as well.)
8Aug12A.jpg
8Aug12B.jpg
8Aug12C.jpg

Hello Lost Marbles, and thank you for the pictures!
Most of the information out there is for the 3B engine. I don't know how much difference there is between the two blocks, Your help is much appreciated.
Cheers,
B&B

Well I have been dealing with the same problem but on a 1978 with a 3b. I bought a 85 mini truck setup from the local junk yard a while back and its just been too hot to work on any thing. Today after work I and looking at this thread I bought some beer and went to work. First, I found the same holes from lost marbles picture and tried to line the bracket from the mini truck to the B block, didnt work. I took a grinder and made them a bit longer and now have it bolted up. Then I had to turn the pully on the pump backwards for it to look like it lined up.
IMG_0354.jpg
IMG_0353.jpg
IMG_0355.jpg

I know a little rough and may not work but its been bothering me not being able to put it on. I also need to make a slight adjustment because it doesnt look like its going to line up 100% right now. Next i have to get a bigger belt and figure out where to mount the reservoir. Just thought I would share.
IMG_0356.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom