Power Steering Lines Wrapped Around the Frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to replace my power steering gearbox. I'm guessing it's all original because the fluid lines WILL NOT come out of the top of the gearbox. Got a lot of recommendations to cut the lines, because really they need replacing anyway.

Dove into that this weekend, and I realize the lines come down out of the pump, and the hard lines wrap up and over the frame, run across the front, and wrap back up under the body to go up to the gearbox. I was able to remove the brackets that hold the hard lines to the body, but it does not seem possible to snake the lines out of where they are. And the Gates replacement looks like it's shaped the same way.

Please tell me I don't have to lift my whole truck up off the frame just to get these lines out???

EO0kvIBgriFdoVcbZCYiwpMYOeDnB3RBHdrOs19JwnQ5EC73wxT7hht_HQmurgoajAM7qHTWt4p4VBGCdToqCSRqkqmpymcwzzov0VyIhxyeuZTgk6Rjv4FVt_MEg1qb2nffk7TiO0LiE_O5W0nLmUo-Iqz7VTvd-C8bg2NBLHCJX2NNiew2TnS5VVgU1vrj4Iu-8tkL4pMXdGf7WdxMhsZQpV-sBKXIYVPrekTlu_a7qk93HAgeSdMXHNdY1RZey3SkMKVqtpQDT0K6QEjJSQNGOolqyGmChhtsY1jm-V2KLoJVLdK6Qu1GHh7P9Tuzc4i55BpEd2dofSt26cs6AwRKlJoqJybRDo-DhtPeWP2UOrJGRgtuORZeHI2zYV0V35R8IcebrrtS-gkKuQ7Z9j0u7mBz3Z6ToqDBBPJF2yn4YwkCnKwcmUOKWNjYtB5h8S3uPbZlqc9iCkj6JHsbloGFEZqa8sY0rVEpsCochxUMSz0IGlpwPKxsD_46MtCxqOH3AJ0X1gxZ5njRghCTy3HBRkkEmGC7E1q_S6ntX-ZoQ5msNMwgl7KuCg_EOWdyfte0UdwSuiyBJxlU5__ogjzKxg3EgNZ3ZdAJWuUSZp6IZWfAviIroQ=w565-h753-no

The top line in this photo is the return line, the bottom is the pressure line. Neither one of them will go back up and over the frame to come out.

Guessing this is a 91 or 92 year model? Different than 93-97s. Hard lines should not really need replacement unless the are damaged or really rusty. The section of line across the front of the frame is for cooling. Use a flair nut wrench on the hose fittings on top of the pump. Soak them in penetrating fluid first. IIRC, they are 17 mm. John

I tried penetrating fluid, a 17mm flare wrench with and without a breaker bar, two different sizes of vice grips, heat, screaming at it....nada. It's in a super tight spot so there's very little leverage, say the bruises on my arms.

I'm ok with not replacing the hard line parts of the return hose, just the flexible parts, but the pressure hose leaks pretty badly. Thinking it's pointless to do all this if I leave a leaky hose in there. Yes, it's a '91.

I tried penetrating fluid, a 17mm flare wrench with and without a breaker bar, two different sizes of vice grips, heat, screaming at it....nada. It's in a super tight spot so there's very little leverage, say the bruises on my arms.

I'm ok with not replacing the hard line parts of the return hose, just the flexible parts, but the pressure hose leaks pretty badly. Thinking it's pointless to do all this if I leave a leaky hose in there. Yes, it's a '91.

Are you reaching into the steering box from the top? It works better if you lift the rubber weather seal between the frame and fender behind the left front tire. Good luck. Sounds like its pretty stuck. You might even try removing that tire so you can really get good access to wrestle it.

Removed the tire AND the weather seal...the body of the truck, like the wheel well sorta, is totally in the way, can't get around it. UGH.

As suggested, cut the hoses that go to the gear box so you can get the gearbox off the frame and into a vise where you get medieval on those fittings by sliding a box end wrench over the hoses you cut and put some serious force on them. Don't let this thing beat you.

As suggested, cut the hoses that go to the gear box so you can get the gearbox off the frame and into a vise where you get medieval on those fittings by sliding a box end wrench over the hoses you cut and put some serious force on them. Don't let this thing beat you.

if you cut the soft lines close to the crimped fittings that lead to the short little hard lines, you can probably get a box end over the stubby hard line and try loosening those fittings while it is still bolted onto the rig.

Take this opportunity to install a P/S fluid cooler? I paid around $30 for the one @beno recommended from Summit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom