1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power steering line--Help

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by vtcruiser60, Mar 17, 2004.

1. vtcruiser60

vtcruiser60 SILVER Star

I don't want to get hosed, literally.

RE: 92 FJ80, 131K

The high pressure steel lines for my power steering have rusted and are leaking below the radiator. The unit is sold in two parts from the dealer and I have been quoted, $400. I found used lines from cruiserparts.net for $200. Each option sounds expensive to me for simple steel high pressure lines.

Can I use braided steel lines? Can I simply flare some brake line and use it instead? Come on, there has to be a cheap solution here.

-KMK in Vermont

2. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    That is basically a cooler for the PS as well. You can either bypass it with a home made Napa style adding in your own cooler. You could by a pressure line from advance autoparts for $120, or NAPA for $99.

HTH

3. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    I was thinking the same thing that it was the low presure cooler tube(like a 40,60/2), but on a fj80 I think both the high presure and return line(cooler) are metal pipes, you solution would work great for the low presure/return/cooler but not sure about if its the high presure line.

4. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    It is a high pressure line. The pump on a 3fe is on the passenger side. The box is on the driver frame rail. I run a 3fe pump on my 2f 40 in the same location with a 60 box. I just went to a hydro shop and had a soft line made that basically follows the same as a 62. I figuered it be less than $100... well it wasn't but I was still happy. Your right about my comment about the cooler.. OEM does run the same type of line back to the pump for low pressure. That's where I think i was thinking about the cooler.

5. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    you may be able to have a shop make one for you for cheeper.. i would do just about anything before i paid $400... and i cant belive you have rust on a 92'

6. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Have your local hydraulic shop make one up for you. They can make anything as long as you bring the old one in. The dealer wanted $600 for the hoses on my wife's Infiniti and the local shop made them up for $60.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">