Power steering line--Help

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by vtcruiser60, Mar 17, 2004.

1. vtcruiser60

vtcruiser60 SILVER Star

I don't want to get hosed, literally.

RE: 92 FJ80, 131K

The high pressure steel lines for my power steering have rusted and are leaking below the radiator. The unit is sold in two parts from the dealer and I have been quoted, $400. I found used lines from cruiserparts.net for $200. Each option sounds expensive to me for simple steel high pressure lines.

Can I use braided steel lines? Can I simply flare some brake line and use it instead? Come on, there has to be a cheap solution here.

-KMK in Vermont

2. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    That is basically a cooler for the PS as well. You can either bypass it with a home made Napa style adding in your own cooler. You could by a pressure line from advance autoparts for $120, or NAPA for $99.

HTH

3. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    I was thinking the same thing that it was the low presure cooler tube(like a 40,60/2), but on a fj80 I think both the high presure and return line(cooler) are metal pipes, you solution would work great for the low presure/return/cooler but not sure about if its the high presure line.

4. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    It is a high pressure line. The pump on a 3fe is on the passenger side. The box is on the driver frame rail. I run a 3fe pump on my 2f 40 in the same location with a 60 box. I just went to a hydro shop and had a soft line made that basically follows the same as a 62. I figuered it be less than $100... well it wasn't but I was still happy. Your right about my comment about the cooler.. OEM does run the same type of line back to the pump for low pressure. That's where I think i was thinking about the cooler.

5. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    you may be able to have a shop make one for you for cheeper.. i would do just about anything before i paid $400... and i cant belive you have rust on a 92'

6. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Have your local hydraulic shop make one up for you. They can make anything as long as you bring the old one in. The dealer wanted $600 for the hoses on my wife's Infiniti and the local shop made them up for $60.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.