Power Steering Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How problematic is it to change my power steering pump and my power steering gearbox. Both are starting to leak very heavily and I don't know if I can do it or if I need to take it somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

I thought IMO the pump is more easy .. nothing to really worried about the steering box .. but again IMO it's more " harder " job.

My question is .. you would change for a rebuilt one .. ? or when you have both aoutside start the rebuild process by yourself .. ?

OK, here's the deal...I am going to be charged $3k to get my pump and gearbox replaced (both new, labor included) and I have been told that is grossly overpriced. Anybody near SE GA willing to lend a hand on this one...will compensate in whatever way possible...new trails on the Satilla River, Beer, Food, My wife is hott...

Any help on this one would be appreciated

I'll start a pic thread on the chat board...

BOth the pump and the gearbox need to be replaced...I would like to go with rebuilt ones due to the price, but I have never done either of these projects before and have no familiarity with them.

Who diagnosed the leak. Are you sure it is not the lines leaking and running down so it looks it is the pump and box? More common for the lines to leak than the box or pump. Pump leaks at the banjo fitting where the low pressure feed attaches when O-ring goes bad.

Boxes rarely leak. Boxes can be rebuilt for around $200-$400 depending on where you are located. If you are doing all this, I would also replace the low pressure hoses as well as the high pressure hose that is around $200.

okefenokeefzj80 said:
My wife is hott...

You might start trolling the CHAT waters with pics of the wife, we seem to stock perverts in that pond, I'm sure you'll get a few hits there.

If I was around I'd be more than happy to help out. The more common problem might be the PS cooler itself. They tend to rot right where the lines go under the radiator. Quite a few of us on the east coast have had this problem.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll be under the 80 tonight trying to diagnose everything with my own eyes.

sleeoffroad said:
Who diagnosed the leak.

A guy I grew up with that deals exclusively with Toyota vehicles. If you guys can save me some of the 3k, I'm gonna order a cargo drawer system from you, Slee. Fact!

I will state the obvious: Make sure go go under there and clean everything as well as you can. I did this with simple green and many rags to finally trace down my leaking distributor O-ring. Clean the hoses as well as you can too, then drive it and keep an eye on it and you might be able to see where the problem(s) are originating.

Once you diagnose the leak, see if you can take pictures and post them. That will help us better diagnose it with you. It's unlikely it would be both the pump and gear boz and more likely it's a hose.

Here is a write-up on how to remove and rebuild both. At least it will let you see whats involved

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=98211

Just last weekend I changed my leaking PS low-pressure return hose. With heat and age it had become so hard and inflexible I had to cut through it with a knife and remove the two sections - again by slicing through the hose. When hose becomes this hard there is no way the hose clamps can make a decent seal.

Slightly messy because the area was covered with dirty goo from the leak but otherwise inexpensive and easy. Definitely check the hoses before plunking down anything near $3K.

Oke,
Only one post is needed. Stick with the original so you don't confuse me at least. And you don't have to post Tech pics in chat. Actually, you might want to not venture into cheat right yet. This isn't 'Stuck in (SE) GA' is it?
I think in you're situation maybe you don't have the proper tools? That's as much character as I can judge with 21 posts history.

*Clean the areas really well and document the leaks.

*If you can, take the units off yourself and then take them into a shop for rebuild. That'll avoid some cost.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=104382

jklubens said:
Oke,
Only one post is needed. Stick with the original so you don't confuse me at least. And you don't have to post Tech pics in chat. Actually, you might want to not venture into cheat right yet. This isn't 'Stuck in (SE) GA' is it?
I think in you're situation maybe you don't have the proper tools? That's as much character as I can judge with 21 posts history.

*Clean the areas really well and document the leaks.

*If you can, take the units off yourself and then take them into a shop for rebuild. That'll avoid some cost.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=104382

This isn't stuck in GA, but I am "stuck in GA" without power steering right now.

I am new to the mechanical field, but I am eager to learn...My previous experience has been limited to simple things such as changing spark plugs/fuel injectors/coils/etc...

I've only had a LC for about two weeks, so I am new to the community as well.

Every bit of information you guys have given me has been absorbed so far so I am looking forward to tackling this project with ya'lls help (i had to throw the ya'll in there...sorry).

As soon as I get under the 80 I will post up pics for you guys to lead me in the right direction.

okefenokeefzj80 said:
How problematic is it to change my power steering pump and my power steering gearbox. Both are starting to leak very heavily and I don't know if I can do it or if I need to take it somewhere.
A good start would be to buy the factory service manual, and read over the process to remove and rebuild or replace with new the pump and rack, along with the lines. Then you can make your own informed opinion as to whether or not you have the tools and aptitude to tackle the repairs yourself.

okefenokeefzj80 said:
As soon as I get under the 80 I will post up pics for you guys to lead me in the right direction.

That would be good. One of the costs of the help is to provide the solution so we can all benifit from it.

Good Luck

Did you clean it up and figure out what's leaking. I see your trying to buy the pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom