Power Steering Leak While Truck Sits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put the 60 down for a winter nap in the garage about 40 days ago. Last night I noticed a significant leak of ATF under the engine bay. Pretty easy to diagnose that this is PS leak. The reservoir is down at the bottom of the “cold” marker on the reservoir dipstick and it was full 40 days ago.

Reading through the search results there is an overwhelming amount of pump leaks for many folks on the board.

My question, is it possible for the pump to leak with no usage? I could see a bushing or seal allowing fluid to leak, but I’m hoping it’s not any part of the PS lines. I can swallow a $400 pump and a self install, not a goose chase of lines. Thanks for any internet diag help.

The steering gear can leak too. Mine did from the input shaft ...

Cheaper to replace or tighten a leaking line that replace a pump. Look under the driver's front wheel well. If you see a lot of fluid on the frame but dry above the gearbox then it could be a leaking gearbox. Let's hope its just a loose connection or worn hose. And really how many lines are there? Its just a pressure line from pump to gearbox and a return line right??

Pump is fine and lines look good going into the PS box. Fluid is dripping onto the exhaust heat shield and down off of the d/s bumpstop (pic 2). Please let me know what you all think of pic 3, it looks like fluid is leaking at the steering shaft/PS box joint.

Thanks again.

View attachment 1610044

3A289B70-4B9E-44E9-A663-3CF7B11BD9FC.jpeg

A96F0854-29E5-4C13-B32F-2DDEA4A2175D.jpeg

89C69D60-D72F-4572-B530-2A73EBDA6AC8.jpeg

Last edited:
Gear box appears to be the pisser.... rebuild it. Even a simple kit from rockauto works tho the two control rings on the worm gear are best from the dealer. There’s some tricks to the output shaft (one that links to the Pittman) seals. They can be wenchy. I did mine, totally clueless at my kitchen table w/ the aid of a YouTube video by bleeping Jeep, wicked good tips. And use a puller and sledge to release the Pittman off the shaft while it’s on the truck. Personally for me that seemed the easiest route than leaving the Pittman on and getting it off on a bench.

0F2A783F-37B1-4D01-AFB9-8031890A3C09.jpeg

Mine had the same leak, bump stop was soaked as was the boot on my shock. I also didn’t remove the thrust screw at all. I didn’t want to mess w/ the setting how it was which was pretty good.

Mine had the same leak, bump stop was soaked as was the boot on my shock. I also didn’t remove the thrust screw at all. I didn’t want to mess w/ the setting how it was which was pretty good.
Awesome thanks for the info. I'll either be doing a kitchen table rebuild or sending it to West Texas Offroad for one of their well recommended rebuilds.

Tire off, pull fender liner and unbolt? Seems pretty straight forward.

Awesome thanks for the info. I'll either be doing a kitchen table rebuild or sending it to West Texas Offroad for one of their well recommended rebuilds.

Tire off, pull fender liner and unbolt? Seems pretty straight forward.

Yes. 4 bolts for the gear on frame, 1 for intermediate shaft to gear, both lines and tie rod. Then you need to pull the pitman off if doing yourself.

Ha! I was a stubborn female and left the tire on. Lots of up and downs but it came free rather quickly. Removing it off the frame rail was tricky cuz it wanted to drop so I had to keep a hand on it from outside the fender.
Then getting it back on I used a crowbar and a chunk of wood to prop it up. Those bolts thru the rail are a bitch.

I bought my puller from a pep boys too. Cheapish at $20 and had my neighbor skim a bit off the crimping edges cuz it was a tad too narrow.

Okay, I'll see if I can get after this over the weekend. Thank you for all of the suggestions and info.

Just updating this thread. Last night I dove in and removed the d/s inner wheel apron and wheel. That apron is a pain with everything connected plus the bolts and clips that hold it. Hope it goes back on well...

Removed the high and low fluid lines with line wrenches to avoid rounding the nuts, then intermediate shaft. Got stuck on the pitman nut. Had to take a break after trying a bar and pipe, no luck. I’ll get back to it another one of these nights.

On the plus side I just ordered a Gates high pressure line, some 3/8 line for low pressure as well as 4 new clamps for the low pressure hoses. Figured hey, while I’m in there may as well get everything done. Cooler line looks pristine with no leakage. Not messing with that.

Since I’m replacing seals in the box I may use some heat of the 32 mm pitman nut. I’ll update when I have some garage time. Kids, work, wife. Limited time...

A long long pipe over your ratchet handle is the way to go. I just used a stretch of pipe I had sitting around. It was prob about 4’ long. By the time I was done it had funky bends in both ends.

Last edited:
Question for the thread - I have a similar leak... I've isolated it to the seal around the input shaft. I'm considering just replacing that seal - vs a full rebuild... I've never done it and am a bit shy about the endeavor. Can I buy just the input seal? Would I need to remove the whole box to do the job? Thoughts?

Question for the thread - I have a similar leak... I've isolated it to the seal around the input shaft. I'm considering just replacing that seal - vs a full rebuild... I've never done it and am a bit shy about the endeavor. Can I buy just the input seal? Would I need to remove the whole box to do the job? Thoughts?
You’ll need to pull it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom