power steering leak HELP!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there.Well my power steering in my 1980 fj40 starting leaking 3 days ago.It's leaking right where the steering shaft goes into the box.The top seal. How big of a PITA is it going to be to change?I'll pull the whole box out of the truck.Do I really hafta buy the whole seal kit just to fix the one seal?Anybody have a part number for me?I gotta get this thing fixed fast.It's my DD and it trashing my truck. HELP!!!! Never tore into a power steering box and any advice would be great.I did search, but didn't find to much info..... TIA Ryan 78&80 fj40's

yep, a read most of that.Didn't answer the ? I posted.

Anybody?

Just read everything I could find over at pirate4x4, no luck.

Nothing like doing research on company time. : ) Ryan

Still lookin......

nope, right at the steering box.It dumps pretty good.I'm going to shoot over to the stealership after work and price the seal kit out.I hope it don't hurt to much.

Anybody got a 40 p/s box they wanna sell?haha.Just be easier. Ryan

cool, I went to the stealership today after work.Didn't turn out to bad.To order all the seals is like 40$ give or take.But if we ordered the kit it was like 120$. The kit was 40$ at one point but Toyota decided to change the part number and the price also.BASTIDS. oh well. Kind of funny to, when I asked for the parts I needed, the parts guy said I was his third person today lookin for parts to a old Land Cruiser. I guess there is a bj40 from Hondurous(sp) up around my parts.The guy was calling for parts this mornin.I'll just hafta keep my eyes open.See it all works out in the end.

Last edited:
If you have a FSM, the rebuild should be a breeze. I rebuilt the pump for mine and it was quite easy. Just work clean and follow the steps and you should be just fine. The FSM warned not to take apart the valve body which is goooooood advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom