Power Steering Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GCC

Threads
Hello All. I have a 1985 FJ60 with 153k miles on it. I've owned it for six years and it's been a great truck for me. I noticed a power steering fluid leak that started as a trickle but progressed to the point of my taking the truck to get looked at by my local mechanic. He says that my power steering cooling line is corroded and is the cause of the leak. According to him it needs to be replaced asap. I'm not a mechanically inclined person, so I don't know enough to refute his assessment. And the reservoir empties within a day, so something is definitely wrong. At any rate, the mechanic is unable to find the part I need (Part #: 44420-60070 - COOLER SUB-ASSY, POWER STEERING OIL, NO.1.). It seems to be discontinued. Does anyone have a recommendation as to where I might be able to find this part or know if there's a similar part that might work? I've searched extensively but to no avail. Any direction is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FullSizeRender.jpg

The PS cooler on a FJ60 is just a bent piece of tubing clamped to the frame. Nothing fancy at all. Lots of guys install aftermarket PS coolers in front of the radiator. Get a small one designed for power steering. Don't get a big honkin transmission cooler. It will over cool the fluid. Lots of places sell PS coolers. Be sure to mount it lower than the reservoir and oriented so that it won't trap any air.

Link below can give you some ideas

Search Results for Query: "Power steering cooler" | IH8MUD Forum

^
This. Seriously, just a piece of tubing that runs a loop under the radiator - nothing cosmic. Gorgeous Cruiser by the way...not many folks own a 60 for six years and/or have a rig looking that nice that haven't become mechanically oriented - they have a way of breaking you in and pushing you along the learning curve.

If your mechanic didn't just suggest making up a new line, I'd be looking for a new mechanic.

Also, are you 100% sure that it is the line that is leaking? I only ask because it is very common for the power steering pump to leak and not so common for the line to "go bad".

It's usually obvious that it's the cooler pipe vs PS box, since the cooler pipe leaks at the rusty clamps down on the front crossmember vs. squirting out the front of the pump & running down the side of the engine.

To the OP: an emergency repair is to bypass the cooler w/ a couple feet of 3/8" PS return hose.
Install this cooler when you get time:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-1009/

Hell when one of my lines corroded away nothing a peice of rubber hose coundnt fix. 3 years and still running. Cut the rotted peice away and install. I used the basic pipe clamps to hold it together

If your mechanic didn't just suggest making up a new line, I'd be looking for a new mechanic.

Also, are you 100% sure that it is the line that is leaking? I only ask because it is very common for the power steering pump to leak and not so common for the line to "go bad".
I'm relying on the mechanic, but he says it's the cooling line. Based on where the fluid is leaking out (front right just under the crossmember as FJ40Jim mentioned), he seems to be accurate with his assessment

Thank you to all who have replied. Your comments have been very helpful. I suppose I'm somewhat inclined to replace my power steering cooling line with one from another FJ60. I was able to find one online from CruiserYard. Assuming it's in good shape, would anyone advise against buying a used one in favor of one of the other work-arounds mentioned above? Thanks again.

To replace the tube, I think your going to have to pull the radiator.

When mine tube sprung a leak 10 years ago, I just cut(while still on the 60) the bad part out and replaced it with some hose (and clamps) been fine ever since.

On my FJ40 which came without PS, I added OEM PS but was not able to find a good used cooler tube (same idea as a 60) so we used a small trany cooler instead. I later found the tube but no reason to use it IMOP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom