Power Steering Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mudders!!

I remember reading somewhere something vague about a 'traditional power steering problem' but for the life of me I can't find anything about it again!
I have a beautiful 60 that I got a few months ago for a steal, and its been doing me just fine, except recently its started making a horrible grinding noise when its cold and you get close to full (left or right) steering lock. A few people have suggested its low on steering fluid, but its full and I havent had to top it up at all...

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks in advance (and appologies if its a really obvious problem!)
Al

If you are going to replace the pump, do a search on the subject. Lots of threads. General thought is that you don't want to use a reman pump, even with "lifetime warranty". They don't last. This has been my experience as well. Either get a new one from Toyota, or upgrade to a Saginaw. I call it an upgrade since I think my Saginaw is better than the Toyota pump ever was. JMHO.

Is the Saginaw pump a direct bolt in?

not quite. I put mine where the air pump used to be. Got a metric one (Volvo 240 or a post 1980) for $50. The OEM hose fit right in.
2012-03-24_21-11-06_653.jpg
2012-03-24_21-11-16_202.jpg
2012-03-24_21-11-22_8.jpg

Do NOT use a reman pump. It's like flushing cash down the toilet.

Two options:
Toyota OEM pump (get from Cdan or ben). Bolt in. Will last a long time on a stock (ish) rig.
Saginaw. It's an upgrade (stronger, lasts longer). Not a bolt in, but not a hard mod either. Bracket is available, and threads on here describe how to do it. Out of pocket is higher than OEM, but you'll "spend" more time.

Two options:
Toyota OEM pump (get from Cdan or ben). Bolt in. Will last a long time on a stock (ish) rig.
Saginaw. It's an upgrade (stronger, lasts longer). Not a bolt in, but not a hard mod either. Bracket is available, and threads on here describe how to do it. Out of pocket is higher than OEM, but you'll "spend" more time.

Has anyone made a "kit" yet to bolt in a Saginaw pump....ie: the brackets, bolts, exact pulley, etc?

Zack

I think man-it-aint-free has a bracket. I think it is like $300. I did my whole saginaw conversion for less than $50. Based it on that homebrew link further up in the thread. You will need access to a welder to do it right, but you can mod the original bracket to work with sag. :banana::banana::banana: b/c it requires welding and custom fabbing. If you get a Sag off an old volvo, take the volvo brackets because they can be helpful when fabbing the new bracket. Also, get two volvo pulleys. You will have to weld them together and trim the inside one so it will be spaced properly. By far worth every penny I spent. I would have paid 10 times as much for the same result.

I think man-it-aint-free has a bracket. I think it is like $300. I did my whole saginaw conversion for less than $50. Based it on that homebrew link further up in the thread. You will need access to a welder to do it right, but you can mod the original bracket to work with sag. :banana::banana::banana: b/c it requires welding and custom fabbing. If you get a Sag off an old volvo, take the volvo brackets because they can be helpful when fabbing the new bracket. Also, get two volvo pulleys. You will have to weld them together and trim the inside one so it will be spaced properly. By far worth every penny I spent. I would have paid 10 times as much for the same result.

Wow it would seem that a Cruiser vendor would like to sell this as a completed package....

Mark A. of Mark's Off Road makes a mounting bracket and adjustment bracket that bolt in where the stock smog pump goes.

$65 for the mounting bracket, $25 for the adjustment bracket.

Super straightforward. If you're doing a desmog already, that's actually slightly cheaper than a tensioner from Jim C. It's what I'm planning to tackle once I get another paycheck or two. In the mean time, I'm just doing good old fashioned manual steering, which would really suck if I wasn't a 24-year-old with beefy arms.

I haven't tried Mark's brackets yet, but from what I've read they're well worth it if you don't have the gear to fab your own.

^^What he said!!!^^ I made that mistake once. After 1K miles of part time power steering, I sprung the dough for an OEM pump and couldn't be happier and I run 33/12.5's.

Cheers guys!
I was kind of hoping it to be a quick fix but I guess I'd feel comfortable with a new pump, will look into this Saginaw pump mentioned.
On another note, what is desmogging? I'm pretty sure it's an American thing, but is that going to make a difference if I decide to use a Saginaw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom