power steering is weak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i went wheeling over the weekend and when i started driving around on the rocks my power steering would squeek and the whell wouldnt turn. this happened often like when i was on an incline i would have to try to turn a couple times before the wheel would turn. and i noticed that my box has fluid leaking our the top? any ideas is it a bad box, or overheating . i think air is geting in the line but i dont know :cheers:

no belts not slippin, its a saginaw 800. i did bleed it. it works fine drivin around until i start getting off camber and pitchin and rollin. no cooler

The pump may be cavitating because it still has a bubble in it or the fluid is low. Check the fluid level with the pump running and top it up if necessary. Then shut it off and check fluid level again. If the level rises when you s*** it off, it still has a bubble.

Pin_Head said:
If the level rises when you s*** it off, it still has a bubble.

ha ha thats funny, i know what you meant. ill try that tonight. are the pumps made to let pressure out if it gets to high, would this explain he residue on the box.

camcruiser13 i noticed that my box has fluid leaking our the top? [/QUOTE said:
If the steering gear is leaking out " the top ", I would figure out why, for starters...could be why you are cavitating the pump/not getting fluid flow to provide the assist you were expecting. If oil is getting out, air, dirt, and anything else can get in, and cause all sorts of issues.

You are low on p/s fluid, that is why the pump was making noise, and not working properly..

I would have someone move the steering wheel for you while you watch the steering gear, and see how much fluid you are losing....turn to the stop, and then back the other direction, and see if the gear is spitting out oil, and from where exactly. Put on saftey glasses BEFORE you do this!!

Good luck!

-Steve

" wheres poser "

Have to work sometime man...

:beer:

Have a similar problem.
Front bearing on pump collapsed, causing the front seal to leak - but to leak air in - this got pumped into the system forcing fluid out of the reservoir cap.

Pull the belt and check the pulley for play.

thanks for all the input, ill do all of it. just givin you a hard time poser, someones gotta

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom