Power steering hose burst on trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am up on a trail about 2 hours from home and just lost my power steering. I can strong arm it to get out and get home but do I risk destroying the pump or gearbox by driving about 100 miles with no fluid?
Thanks

I've never dealt with it myself but I know of two folks that had the power steering pour out of the hole in the back when the plug went. They made it back fine although they had a tough go at it since it was a lot of slow trail driving before hitting the frwy. No long term damage that I can recall.

I've never dealt with it myself but I know of two folks that had the power steering pour out of the hole in the back when the plug went. They made it back fine although they had a tough go at it since it was a lot of slow trail driving before hitting the frwy. No long term damage that I can recall.
Not good for the pump to pump dry

I've had the "plug" blow out twice. Long story short is even after driving with the plug out of the pump it still had several ounces of fluid left when I took it out and seemed like it could probably go a while and my guess is it would give you a bit of warning before it might seize up (which is a concern on the FJZ80 since its timing gear driven.

Thanks for the replies. I was able to make it home with no problems. Found a hole in one of the low pressure lines. Replaced it and topped up the fluid with fresh dte24 and everything seems to be ok. I’m sure it isn’t great for the longevity of the pump but it sounds and feels like it did before. Now to get some rest cause my arms are tired.

Thanks for the replies. I was able to make it home with no problems. Found a hole in one of the low pressure lines. Replaced it and topped up the fluid with fresh dte24 and everything seems to be ok. I’m sure it isn’t great for the longevity of the pump but it sounds and feels like it did before. Now to get some rest cause my arms are tired.

As long as enough fluid remained in the pump to lubricate it, you should be fine. In any case, the pump is not difficult to rebuild as long as the bearing, the cam ring and vanes are not damaged. It's a pretty robust unit.

ps pump assy.jpg

I just lost powersteering in mine yesterday afternoon. Did yours spray the ATF/PS fluid all over the driver side wheel well and the engine bay or just leak straight down? The fact that it sprayed everywhere and gave everything a nice anti rust coat makes me believe its a high pressure line.

Mine wasn’t quite spraying out. More so just pouring quickly out of the crack in the low pressure hose. Definitely made a nice mess though. If yours is spraying then I would think it may be likely to be on the high pressure side.

I just lost powersteering in mine yesterday afternoon. Did yours spray the ATF/PS fluid all over the driver side wheel well and the engine bay or just leak straight down? The fact that it sprayed everywhere and gave everything a nice anti rust coat makes me believe its a high pressure line.

A good clean up would be in order first. Such a large 'coating' of the lines and other areas might make it hard to find the source of the leak unless an obvious split is present in one of the hoses. Even the low pressure line (from the reservoir to the pump) is under pressure, its just low pressure. That line in particular (the large one) gets hard and brittle as does the return line from the cooler to the reservoir. The high pressure lines tend to stay more pliable but are subject to abrasion and wear. Can't rule out rodents chewing on lines either (depending upon where you live).

IF no failure is obvious by visual inspection, then unfortunately...you might have to partially fill the reservoir, crank the engine and look for the geyser. :(

Just replaced some of mine recently.

PS res3.jpg
PS hoses2.jpg

A good clean up would be in order first. Such a large 'coating' of the lines and other areas might make it hard to find the source of the leak unless an obvious split is present in one of the hoses. Even the low pressure line (from the reservoir to the pump) is under pressure, its just low pressure. That line in particular (the large one) gets hard and brittle as does the return line from the cooler to the reservoir. The high pressure lines tend to stay more pliable but are subject to abrasion and wear. Can't rule out rodents chewing on lines either (depending upon where you live).

IF no failure is obvious by visual inspection, then unfortunately...you might have to partially fill the reservoir, crank the engine and look for the geyser. :(

Thanks for all the advice! It’s really frustrating having to deal with these problems right now. I just spent 16 days on leave. Yesterday was my last day of leave and the power steering issue happened yesterday evening. Too bad it didn’t happen during my 16 days of leave, when I had plenty of time to fix issues like this. It had to happen once it’s time to return to work. Leaving me with no vehicle and less time to work on the truck. I guess Murphy’s Law is in effect.

I ordered a high pressure line from oreilly’s. It’s an import direct brand which I usually try to use oem parts, but I’m in a pinch to get my truck back into normal operation. The choice was simple. Wait 5-7 days for shipping for a oem or “comparable one(such as rein or gates)” or pick up a possibly less reputable part tomorrow morning from the store.
I’ll also be replacing the low pressure lines with bulk 3/8 and 5/8 hose. Will update once I get it all clean and find the culprit

I ordered a high pressure line from oreilly’s. It’s an import direct brand which I usually try to use oem parts, but I’m in a pinch to get my truck back into normal operation. The choice was simple. Wait 5-7 days for shipping for a oem or “comparable one(such as rein or gates)” or pick up a possibly less reputable part tomorrow morning from the store.
I’ll also be replacing the low pressure lines with bulk 3/8 and 5/8 hose. Will update once I get it all clean and find the culprit

Naturally, these things happen at the least opportune time. I can assure you....it's not only you. ;)

Good move on the line replacement. The aftermarket high pressure line is not of the same quality as the OEM by a long shot....BUT it will suffice for now and get you back on the road. I would do the same thing in your situation.

Good luck with your repair and I would like to Thank You for your service (whatever branch and capacity that might be).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom