Power steering hose banjo bolt fitting question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Power steering h pressure hose is leaking on my 94. I loosened the fitting at the box and loosened the banjo bolt, or so I thought. The female part of the banjo is spinning and the male bolt is still tight to the banjo. So it looks like there is some kind of fitting that screws into the pump and the banjo bolt screws into that fitting. The fitting is loose. How do I hold that fitting tight in order to loosen the banjo bolt? The banjo end of the hose will spin till it hits the steering box, but I'm reluctant to put a lot of torque on the banjo bolt with only the metal hose holding it since I'm afraid I'll bugger the metal hose and still not get the banjo bolt out. Any suggestions? It feels like there is a 'nut' behind the banjo but there's not much room to get a wrench on it. I'm guessing it's a 22mm or 7/8' nut like the banjo bolt.

The lower fitting is called the pressure port union, it's difficult to get anything on it to hold it in place. My method is to hold the line and zip the banjo bolt off with a 3/8" impact, works every time.

That was the Tool Man talking to ya... us simple folk that do not have access to air tools use a wrench on the union nut and a socket with a long extension for the banjo.

Not much room down there for the wrench put patience allows it to work.

Banjo.jpg
Banjo.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I have a 1/2" electric impact, I think that would have worked but I didn't think of it. Instead what I did was using a 6" miniature pipe wrench I captured the ear on the banjo body and held it to the ear on the fitting. I was then able to loosen the banjo bolt. I tried putting a wrench on the pressure port union but the line from the power steering reservoir was in the way.

You have to be creative but it is possible to get a wrench on that pressure port union.

I replaced the high pressure hose. Leak appears to be gone.

I just found my leak coming from this same banjo bolt.

I'm going to try and re-tighten things before I go buy a new HP hose.

I looked in the FSM and can't find torque values? Anybody have them?

Also, because it is possible I screwed up, does anybody have an exploded view? Are there any washers in the stack-up?
(Pressure Union > washer? > BANJO fitting > washer? > BANJO bolt)

Thanks

There's a banjo washer, you can see it in the close up photo above; IIRC it's a one time use part.

Last edited:

So there is only 1 washer, and it is on the "Socket here side"?

Pressure port > BANJO fitting > washer > BANJO bolt

Why doesn't the FSM have this area covered? Or am I looking in the wrong section (steering)?

That power steering hose I replaced seems to be leaking again at the crimped fitting near the pump. Damn.

Did you use oem?

No. Toyota wanted $300+. I used a Rock Auto $35 hose.

Replaced with a Gates hose from Rock Auto. About $50. Not the best choice though because it comes with 2 copper crush washers and not the conjoined aluminum washers. The lower crush washer is a bear to install because it just falls off if you put it on the banjo bolt and try to screw it in. I installed the banjo bolt with the just the upper crush washer initially. Screwed the other end into the steering box. Removed the power steering fluid reservoir by loosening the bottom hose at the pump and unbolting the reservoir. It can then be moved out of the way with the return line and feed line still attached to the reservoir. I then loosened the banjo bolt using a 7/8" socket on a 30" extension using my left hand while reaching down with my right hand and sliding the lower crush washer below the fitting and then pushing the bolt thru the washer. Once thru I was able to use the extension to get the right angle o the bolt and thread it back in.
The other difficult bolt is the front bolt on the bracket holding the U-bend section to the frame. That can be accessed by dropping the right end of the steering damper to get it out of the way and using a 10mm flex head gear wrench to loosen the bolt in the bracket.
A person is better off buying the conjoined aluminum crush washers as it would make installing the banjo bolt much simpler. It could be done without removing the reservoir.

Simple solution to the gasket/washer issue is to get the special one from the dealership for five bux. But it may be special order, so call a day ahead.

Yes, that part is worth the price. However, I just didn't have the opportunity to get one.

Simple solution to the gasket/washer issue is to get the special one from the dealership for five bux. But it may be special order, so call a day ahead.

If you are paying $5 for the double gasket you need a new parts source. That part is roughly $3.50. :meh:

44327-30030 is what you need.

If you are paying $5 for the double gasket you need a new parts source. That part is roughly $3.50. :meh:

44327-30030 is what you need.

Up here in Canada our prices are artificially inflated. I tried pricing out a supercharger once, the list price is $7700. Which means I could order one from you, have it installed by your dealership, go on vacation and drive the rubicon or Moab, and drive home for less than the price of just the parts up here. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom