Power steering high pressure hose just the start of my troubles? How deep to go (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bighollowguitars.com
The last two weeks have been a time of maintenance for my ‘91 fj80, as my youngest child is now in Kindergarten and my childcare responsibilities have disappeared. Got so many things done:

New brake lines
Installed 2.5” OME lift
Replaced axle seal
Replaced rear pinion seal front diff
Adjusted shift rod for low range so it doesn’t pop out
Installed new OEM control arm bushings
New power steering pump

I would have patted myself on the back for a job well done, except I wasn’t paying attention and refastened my high pressure hose to my PSP in an orientation where it rubbed on a lower pulley.

Lucky I saw this after a short drive before it exploded, but it is now weeping ATF and will need to be replaced.

I have ordered a replacement hose, but read that it will require unfastening the radiator to get out.

Now the cooling system on this truck is stock. It has no leaks I am aware of and the fluid level is stable and the temp never fluctuates. I drive over 11’000 passes on the regular.

Would you replace a functional radiator simply because of age? I am not sure if I should just flush it out and keep using it or put a new one in.

I am going to replace at least the three hoses that are associated with the radiator and their clamps.

TIA

The radiator question is due to the necessity of at least unfastening it and squeezing it up to pop the steering line out from behind it.

You do not "have to" remove the radiator the replace the HP hose, it's just much easier to get to the clamp bolt on the frame that way. I've done it both ways, in the past six months, on two different 80s. It is helpful to thoroughly clean the area on the inside of the frame where the clamp is, prior to removing everything. And it's much easier to remove the clamp, with the radiator in place, than it is to install it. Just remember, you got it out, it will go back in.

Also the cooler hardlines are routed such that the radiator is in no way trapping part of the hose. The cooler lines run up and behind (the engine side is behind) the radiator.

FWIW, the Rein hose from RockAuto is the OEM hose.

I am interested in how you installed the HP hose in the wrong orientation in the first place, though, since there's a tab on the fitting which engages the top of the pump to prevent this from happening.

You do not "have to" remove the radiator the replace the HP hose, it's just much easier to get to the clamp bolt on the frame that way. I've done it both ways, in the past six months, on two different 80s. It is helpful to thoroughly clean the area on the inside of the frame where the clamp is, prior to removing everything. And it's much easier to remove the clamp, with the radiator in place, than it is to install it. Just remember, you got it out, it will go back in.

Also the cooler hardlines are routed such that the radiator is in no way trapping part of the hose. The cooler lines run up and behind (the engine side is behind) the radiator.

FWIW, the Rein hose from RockAuto is the OEM hose.

I am interested in how you installed the HP hose in the wrong orientation in the first place, though, since there's a tab on the fitting which engages the top of the pump to prevent this from happening.
It’s a 3FE 80?

I would just get the Wits End power steering cooler to replace your paper clip factory cooler lines and run new high and low pressure lines while you are in there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom