Power steering gearbox rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I purchased an 82' FJ40 which was imported from Venezuela, and I'm SLOWLY getting it road worthy. I need some advice on how to get a rebuild kit for the PS gearbox, or best options for getting this one rebuilt. Any suggestions?

Have you compared it to pictures of stock 40 series? Is the system stock? Is the pedestal cast steel?

Have you compared it to pictures of stock 40 series? Is the system stock? Is the pedestal cast steel?
Great question, and one I hadn't considered enough, until now, even though there's enough other stuff I've run into that wasn't original. You'd think I'd have thought of that. After further inspection, the pedestal is cast iron, but has been welded onto the frame, and it looks like I can see a bolt hole from a previous mounting that is no longer used. I'm including pics of what I have. This may explain why there is some sheet metal bent away from the area the pitman arm is located.

IMG_3368.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

IMG_3370.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3373.jpg

By the way, after inspecting the shafts, namely the pitman arm shaft, it has significant wear, to the point of needing to be replaced. So, a rebuilt unit may be my best option.

Following for an answer, because I’ve got a mini truck PS box that is wearing a bit and will need attention sooner or later

Looks OEM. I believe mini trucks use the same guts… but I could be wrong. Mark’s Off Road or SOR.com could likely help. Mark likes the telephone… SOR is never cheap. @65swb45 is Marks handle.

I know they get mixed reviews on here but I had a great experience with West Texas Off-road. Fast, reasonable price, and great communication.

By the way, after inspecting the shafts, namely the pitman arm shaft, it has significant wear, to the point of needing to be replaced. So, a rebuilt unit may be my best option.
I cannot help you; my plate is full (see signature line)

Further, you should know that a sector shaft is NOT part of a normal rebuild, and if yours is worn to the point that you do not think it is safe to use, you should not expect a shop to accept it for a core.

GLWS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom