Power steering gear rebuild, how many bananas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day all. I have a Toyota Mini truck power steering gearbox in my 40. Thinking about rebuilding it due to some leaking and extra play.
How difficult are these to rebuild? Is it worth the brain damage, or should I send it out? And if the latter, any recommendations on a reputable establishment to send for a rebuild?

Thanks!

I’ve sent a couple of 40 series boxes to West Texas Offroad. Many others here have recommended them.

I did my own by following some videos on youtube that covered other Toyota gearboxes. Got the kit from Rockauto. The hardest part for me was getting all the ball bearings back in but other than that it wasn't too bad.

Hi, Not that hard,not that heavy,not that messy. Mike

I dont know what year gearbox it is. I assume its a 79-84 4 runner or minitruck 4wd gearbox; not Saginaw.
I think I'll just take this task on, I mean covid, right?
Are the rebuild kits for this type of gearbox pretty universal?
Below is a representative pic of what I have.

Screenshot_2021-01-10-07-57-47.png

I might have the part number I ordered from rock auto. It was under $40. I can find it in the morning if you need it?

The screenshot shows various kits for an 84 4 runner PS gearbox; I went thru my emails and found the ebay listing from 11 yrs ago when i bought it. Guess I should clear out the email. I think any one of these will work.

Thanks!

Screenshot_2021-01-10-19-46-43.png

Any updates on your progress. I’m in the same boat with the same box. Mine was leaking at the steering shaft so I replaced the seal but I still have the leak. Considering the rebuild as well.

The sector shaft may be pitted in the seal area resulting in a leak. I've read where people have had that repaired. A new sector shaft is very expensive. I swapped the mini truck innards into a new 40 series power steering box housing available from Toyota. Not that hard if you follow the instructions. I found the most challenging part was fitting it back together in the housing without damaging the Teflon o rings on the power piston.

Attachments

• Pages from 1980_Chassis_Body_Manual ps gear rebuild.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
I’ve sent a couple of 40 series boxes to West Texas Offroad. Many others here have recommended them.

Believe there was a thread with the last year where someone sent there 82 FJ40 OEM powering steering box in and got a mini truck back. It was a real mess and not sure it was ever resolved. Number of mini truck boxes compared to 40 series is huge. I have a 40 series as well as a few mini truck boxes. Wouldn't have a issue sending in a mini truck box because a problem would be easy to resolve. Same with a manual 40 series box. But a 40 series box is not an easy fix if it gets misplaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom