Power Steering Gear Box Rebuild - 1987 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It will go away over time.

Keep turning it lock to lock..

Update

The steering is great. No squeaks, clunks, etc. The groaning is gone, just took a while.

Just kept after it for a while, checking fluid, driving it a lot, and turning the wheel lock to lock in parking lots.

Couple of Lessons Learned:
I bought new power steering lines, new inline filter, tie rod ends, and bronze fittings.

I had a blow out on the road and when I took the fitting out, it looked like it was turned slightly in the housing when I cranked it down. More of a watch out than anything, just be careful when you drop the fittings back in the SGB housing. They might move.

Retap holes, clean, and repaint everything as you go. Makes a big difference in reassembly.

Also, paint the Tie Rod Ends before you install them in the truck with Rustleum or other. After driving in the rain, I got surface rust.

New SGB and lost my turning radius - What the ????

Great thread, since my SGB has begun leaking at the seal. Replaced the PS pump several months ago, maybe "new" pressure was too much.

Anyway, I used the reference to Steering Gearbox - Steering Gear Box - Steering Box - Steering Rack and Pinion at DiscountSteering.com and ordered a replacement for $325 with a 12 month warranty + $200 core. Okay, not too bad, since I could NOT stand having the vehicle down for weeks to send off the old one. Just got back from my mechanic who put the "new" one on the truck, and replaced the TRE - they were very rusted, but he did well. He pointed out something weird about this gear box when he drove it:

The wheel will only turn 2.5 turns lock to lock. And will require 6 pt turns into a parking space

Once I got in and drove it, I noticed it RIGHT AWAY. mmmm - I don't like this at all!!!!!

My old one turned 4+ rotations lock to lock as I remember and the turning radius was fantastic. Upon realizing that, I recalled that the PO indicated that the gearbox was "enhanced". So this is what he meant.

I want my previous turning radius back!!!

So my options are:

1) Keep what I have installed and send the old back as core (not going to happen)

2) Send my old one back to West Texas Rednecks and have them rebuild it and ensure/insist/tell them to keep the same turning ability. Get it back and re-install it back in the truck.

Then what to do with the Discountsteering one just installed and now removed?

a) I still need a core to get my $200 core refunded, so I could use a rebuildable core that cost less then the core cost and get that core refund
b) and sell the discountsteering model
c) send the "new" Discountsteering back AS the core and accept the $325 for the box, the $160 times for the R&R and the $140 for the West Texas rebuild as "part of the cost"

I don't think they will take it back as a return, but I will call them and discuss the issue with them. Maybe they will have an option.

Other options others could offer up?

Is there a name for this "special" SGB that I have had on the truck, with great turning radius? With a name I can refer to it properly.

Last question: Can those of you out there perform the test and determine how many turns lock to lock your FJ-60s do so I (we) can have a comparison.? I re-read the thread and did not see such info posted

Thanks

doug t

Last edited:
whomever rebuilt the box screwed up. 2.5 turns lock to lock sucks and is incorrect.

Your old box was not enhanced to get it to turn tighter. A stock box turns farther than the birfields will allow..

whomever rebuilt the box screwed up. 2.5 turns lock to lock sucks and is incorrect.

Your old box was not enhanced to get it to turn tighter. A stock box turns farther than the birfields will allow..

Can you count your wheel turns on your fj-60 and post here? Thx

doug t

I agree with Mace. There is no enhanced steering box. The issue is your screwed up replacement box.

A bit over 4

Thanks for the info

I have spoken with DiscountSteering and with Matt at West Texas Rednecks

Matt indicates three possible causes:

1) The linkage bars are messed up, not correct

2) Pitman not properly aligned and the gearbox locks out early

3) Internal gearing is misaligned (off by a tooth or two) causing early lock outs

My mechanic indicates that he found the early lock out (2.5 turns) BEFORE attaching the gearbox to the control rods. From this, then #3 is the issue. The rebuilder messed up at DiscountSteering

Matt indicates that in his 10 years, he has done the mis-matched teeth within the gearbox twice.

So, I am sending my old unit to Matt to be redone. When it gets back, I am having it put on the vehicle and taking the "new" off.

Upon speaking with DiscountSteering, their phone guy indicates that I can't send it back, but if it leaks, etc it is covered under warranty. I haven't run this by them yet (will wait until ready to ship it back), but my assertion is that it was rebuilt incorrectly and I want a full refund, not "in kind" returned.

Don't know if I can get that, but I will definitely be put off by this type of support. Am I wrong here?

If gave them a bad rap here about them on this website, would that be wrong as well? Or provide valuable feedback for others here? Should I so indicate that I would do that here as leverage to get my refund?

thx

doug t

It is most likely their fault. Disconnect the pittman arom from the box or the Drag link from the pittman arms and test the turning radius.
They should stand behind their product.
Wanting a full refund (or a properly rebuilt box) is not unacceptable.
Giving an honest representation of what happened to you is not unreasonable. Just DON'T LIE or emblish the facts..

It is most likely their fault. Disconnect the pittman arom from the box or the Drag link from the pittman arms and test the turning radius.
They should stand behind their product.
Wanting a full refund (or a properly rebuilt box) is not unacceptable.
Giving an honest representation of what happened to you is not unreasonable. Just DON'T LIE or emblish the facts..

my mechanic did that test BEFORE attaching the pitman on the reassembly. It bothered him as well and he mentioned it to me.

On what is/has happened...yes, fully understood

thx

doug t

Norsk,
Take care of the issue w/ discountsteering.com RIGHT NOW. Because if you or they drag feet for any length of time, you will not be able to contest the charge on your credit card.

You paid for a functional FJ60 steering box. An FJ60 box has 4.5 turn from stop to stop. You received something that does not have 4.5 turns and is not an FJ60 box (from a functional viewpoint). You did not receive what you paid for. They need to give you the right part or refund the money. If they cannot do that before your next CC bill is due, then you need to contest the chage.

Sorry to sound so extreme, but I got burned by a similar situation a while back, where a vendor kept saying they were gonna ship me the missing parts, but ultimately (after the CC charges were paid) never sent me what I paid for. Now I know to guard my CC rights more seriously.

Norsk,
Take care of the issue w/ discountsteering.com RIGHT NOW. Because if you or they drag feet for any length of time, you will not be able to contest the charge on your credit card.

You paid for a functional FJ60 steering box. An FJ60 box has 4.5 turn from stop to stop. You received something that does not have 4.5 turns and is not an FJ60 box (from a functional viewpoint). You did not receive what you paid for. They need to give you the right part or refund the money. If they cannot do that before your next CC bill is due, then you need to contest the chage.

Sorry to sound so extreme, but I got burned by a similar situation a while back, where a vendor kept saying they were gonna ship me the missing parts, but ultimately (after the CC charges were paid) never sent me what I paid for. Now I know to guard my CC rights more seriously.

Thank you for the valid points.

I shipped my old one off to West Texas for rebuild. I need that BACK and put on the vehicle before I can send the DiscountSteering box back to them. Darn, I hope things can proceed fast. I will contact them and explain where I am at - no way to run my vehicle at the moment if I ship it back to them now.

Talked to Andy at Discount, and he is willing to work with me.

Get my old one back from Texas and get it installed.
Ship their "new" one back for a correct rebuild and get that back to me. They will pay for shipping

I can then sell this "new-new" one to any one out there, the buyer sends me the core and I send the core back to discount. Anyone interested? $325 it cost me from Discount, offers?

A painful cycle, but consequences yes. The TLC is my DD and I can't afford to have it down overnight, let alone for a couple of weeks of shipping, etc.

So far so good with Discount

doug t

Last edited:
update

Got my gearbox back from West Texas (thanks Matt) and installed. Removed "new one" from DiscountSteering and shipped it back under "warranty". They called and indicated they had "the 4 turn lock-to-lock one available" now and they could ship it out to me.

I called this morning and requested a full refund. Crystal agreed and they are refunding the unit and the core charge to my CC.

West Texas cost me $140 plus $25 + $30 S&H both ways. Extra R&R ran an additional $160. Returning the unit back to Discount cost $12 for the UPS label I bought for the core return.

SO, they did me right in my opinion in handling the situation. If they had forced me to keep the unit $325 + $200 core, I would have had a bad thing to say about them. But they did right and refunded me the money. I have lost $$ and time in handling the situation, but that happens and I understand that.

Just so you know

doug t

I don’t have lots of play in the wheel, but lots of years of leak. Is west tx still the place to go for rebuilds or is it RedHead now? Is there a rebuild which addresses just the leak or is it all one big rebuild?

I don’t have lots of play in the wheel, but lots of years of leak. Is west tx still the place to go for rebuilds or is it RedHead now? Is there a rebuild which addresses just the leak or is it all one big rebuild?

good question.....I'm in the same boat with my 62.

Any new shops on the block?

@TRAIL TAILOR had really bad experience with Red Head and tossed round an idea of doing rebuilds in house. Not sure if he's had time to do it or not but that's who I'd go to if he is.

@TRAIL TAILOR had really bad experience with Red Head and tossed round an idea of doing rebuilds in house. Not sure if he's had time to do it or not but that's who I'd go to if he is.

IMO, stay away from Redhead we've had 4 boxes leak (one had loose bolts and bad pitman arm splines) in the past 6 months. @torfab and @cruiseroutfit have said or talked about rebuilding, I'd look to them first, then West Texas Offroad.

I'm only rebuilding for my in-house Customs customers currently. I don't have the qualified personnel to delegate the work. So unless I rebuild... not happening coming out of TT/TTC.

Jason

good question.....I'm in the same boat with my 62.

Any new shops on the block?
Get an 80 box throw a sector shaft from a 105 series, rebuild kit, tada!

Question is why’s it leaking? If sector shaft the cause and corroded or pitted this is the only answer since they don’t make 62 sector shafts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom