power steering for 69 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just been searching and hearing different info. The standard saginaw conversion works for a 69 right? I keep hearing something about ps being difficult for the pre 72's

I think that relates to having or not having a 2 groove harmonic balancer. Marksoffroad.net has a bolt-on second pulley if yours is not already a 2 groove.
Or you can just change harmonic balancers.

Ed

Pre-73 Cruisers have a different column setup that I believe is problematic with certain PS conversions, although I thought it was less of a problem with the saginaw conversion (as opposed to the mini-truck swap).

for the mini truck swap, you'd need a late model column.I think the rag joint started in 73'/74' maybe. You need that for the mini gear box splines to slide into and attach.

I had that setup on my 78' for a bit.For sale now.hehe.Goin different route.

Last edited:
incogrhino said:
for the mini truck swap, you'd need a late model column.I think the rag joint started in 73'/74' maybe. You need that for the mini gear box splines to slide into and attach.

I had that setup on my 78' for a bit.For sale now.hehe.Goin different route.

In tech they discribe that you can use the old column, your old one has to be cut and a rag joint can be welded in place, looks pretty simple but the origanl steering whell might be a little over kill

like degnol says , the thing you need to watch is the pulley set up. Not only the the lower but also the water pump pulley. They both need two grooves , and need to be aligned. There are a few variations because the 'F' water pump was slightly shorter than the '2F' . The easiest way is to find a 2F water pump with a set of matching pulleys.
The saginaw conversion takes attention but will out perform the mini truck set up.
Not to mention future replacement parts are cheaper and more available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom